Vent Thread

Mariculture
Artist -
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Amateur-er Autist
@Sapphie  
If almost everything programming related didn’t go over my head that’d be an ideal solution. Trying to write half functional regex is enough of a headache. There’s a reason I failed both Python I and C# I when I attended college.
Anonymous #DEA6
@EverfreeEmergencies  
I can’t wrap my head around OOP. I’m old enough that I learned BASIC and then structured programming. My conceptual model is of the CPU moving the instruction pointer down through memory with each line of code, tick tick tick tick. The structured programming model of a small main loop that makes comparisons then conditionally calls subroutines is how my brain wants to write code. Breaking everything up into tiny bits that talk to one another is completely alien to me and it’s making it very difficult for me to learn languages that are built around OOP, like Java or Python. My brain wants to write structured code in Pascal or C, or even BASIC–old 1980s hobby micro BASIC with line numbers. Line numbers probably warped my brain permanently, I know. Modeling them in my head as sequential memory locations probably doesn’t help.

I started a babby’s-first-programming-language level course for Javascript at Khan Academy to see if that helps, but the pace was so slow that I got frustrated and gave up. I spent hours and hours doing the exercises to draw circles and rectangles, and I got tired of grinding my teeth and saying to the screen, “look, just show me how to write iterative loops. I don’t suppose you people have an unconditional jump command hidden away somewhere, do you?”
Sapphie
Rampant Bear - A courageous companion
Autist -
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Lil Importer Shid - Hi, Im a lil shid.

Senior Moderator
Unavailable
@Anonymous #DEA6  
OOP is gay as fuck. It can be nice to have bindings for structs, but all the paradigms that go into it are annoying as balls. Out of all the languages I’m proficient in, Java and JavaScript are my least favourite. Meanwhile, scala, C and rust are my faves. Fuck classes, ADTs and structs for life.  
So yeah, I feel you
UrbanMysticDee

Bae > Bay
Woke up at 6 AM because phlegm got stuck in my throat and I couldn’t breathe. I took 1 Benadryl pill and it knocked me out for 5 and a half more hours (1 pill makes me drowsy all day, 2 pills makes me unconscious for 12 hours, but fucking hell does it clear my sinuses when I absolutely need them cleared). I can breathe fine but I’m so totally out of it. This day is pretty much wasted.

I spent 30 minutes or so looking for the ghost story I wroted down years ago for the Halloween video. I can’t find it. I’ll have to do the video tomorrow.
Mariculture
Artist -

Amateur-er Autist
@Anonymous #DEA6  
I thought I was doing okay in C# right up until we got to classes. Granted, loops, switches, and “make button press parse textboxes and do simple calculations” probably aren’t all that hard. Looking at my old notes I have no idea what’s going on in the method section either. Or what it is, for that matter. They aren’t very good notes, in hindsight.
IvanSatoru
Artist -
Boot badge - It's Bootiful

Angle-Considerer
I can program an adding application in c++.  
Actually not really because I never figured out how to compile anything without the convenience of pressing one button in one of those online dev environments.
UrbanMysticDee

Bae > Bay
Fucking winblows again.

File is named “Demon in the pit”

I search for every possible permutation for 30 minutes and find jack shit.

I search for *.odt and go through every single file in alphabetical order one by one and find it in a couple minutes.
Adán Druego
A toast - Incredibly based
Artist -

@UrbanMysticDee  
Windows just seems to hate you and it wants to drive you crazy.

Seriously. Windows actually does seem to do that. It’s like the operating system has a personal grudge against the user or it’s mentally challenged. It’s little wonder why so many people hate Windows and Microsoft in general after all.
TheBridge

I know NOTHING
@coolmaster43232  
This is a regular thing for me at times, sometimes drops for several minutes. Used to think it was some very old hardware on my end but apparently neighbours with much newer stuff have it too at times.
FeatherTrap
A toast - Incredibly based
Artist -

Knight of Boops
well fuck, that didn’t work.

Pro tip: if you’re going to kill yourself by ODing, make sure you pick something strong enough to actually kill you.

Don’t try to do it with over the counter medicines, that’ll just lead to a horrible day in detox. Learned that the hard way…
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide