Video game thread

Azure Fang
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Oh no, he's here?
@Havoc  
Starbound is a bit of a beast. During beta there were multiple, significant redesigns to core code coupled with a few crew changes. Left the internals a bit… spaghetti, for lack of a better word. Even vanilla, the game has a tendency to slog along since you’re actually running a server and signed in as a client when you play. Add on to that the fact that the engine uses chunk-loading and its scripts are frame rate dependent (when they’re loaded at all for the current and nearby chunks) and you’ve got a recipe for an unstable experience. And that’s before you even start talking about mods or the drama during beta.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Starbound. Wouldn’t have made and contributed to as many mods as I have if I didn’t. But when people complain about Warframe’s spaghetti code, I just sit back and laugh in Starbound.
Officer Hotpants
Rabid Squirrel - Don't pet it.
A toast - Incredibly based
Officer Shid pants - Hi, Im a lil shid.
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.

Double-0 Negative
@Havoc  
I had the exact same situation! I was confused for the longest time by how the game ran worse on a proper desktop that was newer & stronger in seemingly every way. And you have no idea how pissed I was later when I found that the new video card I bought had NO EFFECT on it. The most annoying thing, though, is that nearly all of the options that do anything to help are fucking hidden. You have to edit the configuration file to use them. People have been doing this for years and they have never been added to the in-game option menu.

If you ever see the horror stories of the people working for Chucklefucks, though, it begins to make sense. Borderline slave labor. A great many of them didn’t get paid in full for their work, and some didn’t get paid at all. Little wonder why they stopped caring about the quality of the game. Definitely never going to buy anything else from them, that’s for sure.
Officer Hotpants

Double-0 Negative
@Havoc  
As I told a friend who plays it off and on, I’m just waiting for the source code to go public so someone can fix it. Might as well. The game already relies on its modding community harder than even Bethesda ever did.
Azure Fang

Oh no, he's here?
@Havoc  
I wouldn’t exactly consider Chucklefuck “indie”. They opened as a publishing company and still function as a publishing company. Starbound was their first in-house game, with a development history of “appropriating” mods as core content without acknowledgement or consent (prior to clearly stating that they own mods submitted to their repository), exploiting unpaid workers to complete their game, and purging beta criticism by faking a “security breach” on their official forums and deleting only threads and mods and banning users critical of the development direction with a “compromised admin account”, but then ignoring calls to restore the content that “vanished” during the “breach”. If they’re indie, then they’re the Ubisoft of indie.

EDIT: Also, sorry for sperging on a bit. I just get a bit heated over CF and Starbound.
Officer Hotpants

Double-0 Negative
@Azure Fang  
Oh, don’t apologize. I absolutely hate that company. It’s funny, though. Their practices ended up being mirrored by the biggest mod for the game, Frackin Universe. I swear to god Satyr would fit right in at the office.
Azure Fang

Oh no, he's here?
@Officer Hotpants  
By all that’s pink and sugary, it’s taking every ounce of restraint I have to not go off on a mouth-frothing rage-tangent over Sayter and FU after simply reading his name. But you’re right. That self-important asshat would fit right in with them.
Azure Fang

Oh no, he's here?
@Havoc  
Iunno. Maybe it’s because I didn’t grow up with the games (somehow, I never touched a single Kirby game until I was 30), but he just never appealed to me. I suppose I really should give them another go sometime.
Azure Fang

Oh no, he's here?
@Havoc  
Come to think of it, I could see Kirby and Thingpone getting along swimmingly, in a dark sort of way. Well… that or fighting viciously over territory and food.
Jomok0
Artist -

i love yellow horse
Started playing Postal 2. It’s pretty fun lol. You just play as a trailer trash psychopath in a small town of crazy people where basically everybody is armed.

@Officer Hotpants  
Actually I haven’t even tried Brutal Doom yet. I’ll get to it eventually lmao.
Jomok0
Artist -

i love yellow horse
@Officer Hotpants  
Yeah I’ve only ever heard good things about it and it seems well beloved, what I’ve seen of it looks pretty great too. Usually though I’m looking for mostly vanilla style content.
Mitchy

Best princess👗👑
@Jomok0  
I love that feature in postal 2 where if you die, people crowd around your body and say things about you, and then kick your corpse… sometimes they go all apeshit and kill each other over your body
Officer Hotpants

Double-0 Negative
@Jomok0  
There was a really good WAD I had once that took all the vanilla levels from the first game and expanded them to be about 2-3 times larger. I’ve never been able to relocate it, though. Real shame. It was really good.

@Mitchy  
I keep meaning to play that. I dabbled with it once and uninstalled it because it seemed boring and unfinished. Then a little while back I discovered Civvie and learned that it just has a super rough start.
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide