Video game thread

Mariculture
Artist -
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Amateur-er Autist
@Anonymous #0A6B  
PBY, actually. Although to my knowledge a TBF hasn’t been drawn yet either. May look into it and an SBD later.  
I am very excited for Tiny Combat Arena. Semi-realistic flight sim with graphics that look like a modern version of Air Combat? Sign me up. This dogfight looked very fun as well.  
@Fleur de Lis  
I learned to love nukes when playing harmonist and needing to push across the mountain chokepoint at the Arcturian Order’s former southern border while it was filled with hundreds of Dread League divisions. In fact I’m pretty sure I had to carpet nuke them back to their capital.
Mariculture
Artist -

Amateur-er Autist
Apparently the guy who removed all his Skyrim mods from nexus because Trump was elected allowed them to be reuploaded last year.
Officer Hotpants
Rabid Squirrel - Don't pet it.
A toast - Incredibly based
Officer Shid pants - Hi, Im a lil shid.
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.

Double-0 Negative
@EverfreeEmergencies  
Two things come to mind.  
–Why would anyone trust him after he pulled a screaming retard move like that?  
–This is why, barring severe functionality issues or legal issues with developers, Nexusmods shouldn’t allow that shit in the first place. You don’t want your name connected to it anymore? Fine. But you shouldn’t get to fuck over several thousand people–several hundred thousand, even, if yours is a base/tool designed for other mods to utilize to function–because you had a fit of autism.
user7853

so, company of heroes 3 was announced, and i dont know whay to feel about it, i mean im happy that its getting another game, and we never had a coh game set in italy wich is cool, but i dont have good experiences with the 3rd game in a RTS series (blitzkrieg, panzers, dawn of war), and the pre-alpha gameplay looks like a downgrade from both coh 1 and 2, tho its still pre alpha so i cant complain yet  
atleast im happy to she the 150mm nebelwerfer rocket battery back into the game
Azure Fang

Oh no, he's here?
@EverfreeEmergencies
–This is why, barring severe functionality issues or legal issues with developers, Nexusmods shouldn’t allow that shit in the first place. You don’t want your name connected to it anymore? Fine. But you shouldn’t get to fuck over several thousand people–several hundred thousand, even, if yours is a base/tool designed for other mods to utilize to function–because you had a fit of autism.

As an author myself, I have to disagree with this sentiment. Regardless of what or who the mod affects, it still belongs to the mod author and it is theirs to control. If they want to throw a tantrum because someone said “orange man good”, then that’s on them and it’s their reputation if they go nuclear over something trivial.

Nexus Mods just a week or so ago stripped all mod authors published on the site of their ability to control their own work and are effectively paying users for modlists they create with other people’s mods with the authors seeing none of this donation revenue. Modlists, might I add, that bypass the normal mod pages, removing exposure of the authors. Nexus states that these actions are taken to “protect users from mod author tantrums.” In response, some authors (myself included) are removing their entire mod libraries (Nexus gave 30 days from the announcement, and it’s all or nothing) while actively ignoring feedback and locking discussions. I want my name connected to my work, so is it really so damning that I don’t want my work on an abusive site anymore, especially when I have the option of self-hosting on anything from Google Drive to Steam Workshop and providing external links to communities related to the associated games?

I could very easily draw parallels to artists fleeing Derpi over Censorgate, some of which came here, and filing removals with DNPs. Are there problems with that? Or does it all fall down to context?
Officer Hotpants

Double-0 Negative
@Azure Fang  
Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the Nexus mod manager automatically update mods when you use it? Because I’ve been under the impression that it does and having my game randomly get fucked because someone else threw a tantrum would piss me right the fuck off.
Mariculture
Artist -

Amateur-er Autist
@Azure Fang  
I partially agree with this. There is both a need for creator control over their work, and a need for archival, same as with horse images. However, nexus already chose which service to provide. Changing it now is not only stupid, but it harms both themselves and whatever archive sites exist, if they exist. I wouldn’t trust nexus to be a good archive either.
Barhandar
Artist -
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained (Cheeky Breeky)

@Azure Fang  
@EverfreeEmergencies  
Basically. Same problem as Derpi, changing what they are doing midway while ignoring feedback, just in the opposite direction (preventing removal of things instead of removing things themselves).  
Steam Workshop and providing external links to communities related to the associated games?
gg wp that is far more lethal to “exposure” than any kind of modlist due to how shit steam workshop is  
Try, say, moddb instead.  
If they want to throw a tantrum because someone said “orange man good”, then that’s on them and it’s their reputation if they go nuclear over something trivial.
What they should be stripped of, is ability to rugsweep said tantrum. That is, non-editable log of changes to mod files per author.

@Officer Hotpants  
I do not remember it autoupdating anything beyond itself. If it does, would be completely retarded.
Officer Hotpants

Double-0 Negative
@Barhandar  
Wouldn’t be the first time something that stupid was true. It’s part of the reason why I don’t use Nexus much (together with “this mod requires this separate patch, which requires this installer, which requries you go to this offsite page and download & run an executable to prep the game to accept the installer).
Barhandar
Artist -

(together with “this mod requires this separate patch, which requires this installer, which requries you go to this offsite page and download & run an executable to prep the game to accept the installer)
Never saw that beyond the Script Extender, which is, uh  
mandatory for all Bethesda games anyway unless you like your mods 100% cosmetics only, unable to do anything actually interesting
Azure Fang

Oh no, he's here?
@Officer Hotpants  
NMM/Vortex updates to new versions if you’re on default settings or if the modlist you’re using (if using) is set to autoupdate. Otherwise, the manager sticks with specific versions from the archive which might not work with new game versions (Nexus fucking you).

As to “randomly being fucked”, NMM/Vortex are fundamentally broken. They have mod installation issues that have never been addressed, numerous mods cannot or should not be installed via Vortex, and sometimes that random game-rape stems from a bad mod version that authors scramble to fix if they know they exist (I know very well that I’ve broken a share of saves with a misplaced period or missing quote) because humans make mistakes. It’s not just “tantrums” as much as the Nexus managers like to complain about, it’s more often either human error or a badly curated modlist.

@Barhandar  
Steam Workshop and providing external links to communities related to the associated games?
gg wp that is far more lethal to “exposure” than any kind of modlist due to how shit steam workshop is
Try, say, moddb instead.

Not really. Even using collections, mods are still panel-listed and can easily be inspected. With the Nexus modlists as mentioned in the announclement, you drop an anonymous metadata file into Vortex and all mods are installed with no option to inspect, bypassing the site entirely (no “recent” page, no visual list, nothing). And, with Steam, if you delete a mod as an author it’s gone; you have control of your work. As to Moddb, I don’t trust them after they spun off to make Mod.io. Regardless, that was just an example.

If they want to throw a tantrum because someone said “orange man good”, then that’s on them and it’s their reputation if they go nuclear over something trivial.
What they should be stripped of, is ability to rugsweep said tantrum. That is, non-editable log of changes to mod files per author.
The consequence of said rugsweep is the loss of a distribution platform. Do we keep active, non-editable records of the Pikapetey raids on Derpi? Should we?
Barhandar
Artist -

The consequence of said rugsweep is the loss of a distribution platform.
You have misread me. The rugsweep is the (mod) author being able to come back and pretend nothing happened, and because human memory is SHIT they’re often able to do so. And yes, the fact of the raids should be recorded so that he is unable to do them again and is recognized on sight.  
And, with Steam, if you delete a mod as an author it’s gone; you have control of your work.
A.k.a. aforementioned automatic forced updates. Also  
>thinking you have control of anything you publicly uploaded to the internet  
>thinking you have control of anything publicly uploaded FOR EXPRESS PURPOSE OF DISTRIBUTION TO ARBITRARY OFFLINE STORAGE  
mods are installed with no option to inspect, bypassing the site entirely (no “recent” page, no visual list, nothing)
That’s stupid.  
Otherwise, the manager sticks with specific versions from the archive which might not work with new game versions (Nexus fucking you)
have you considered mmmm bananas not updating your fucking game if you have mods that might become incompatible?  
The only thing that fucks you if you have any kind of autoupdating on, moreso mismatched autoupdating, is yourself.

Even fucking Steam only updates games in online mode if they’re launched through itself or have overly tight DRM, you can still launch exe directly including through “add non-steam game” shortcut option in Steam itself, it does not autoupdate games launched via shortcut to bypass it. And forcibly autoupdated mods (i.e. Steam Workshop) are a massive, broken* crutch to a problem of forced autoupdates of the base content. It does not need to exist if the base issue does not exist.

*see literally any Paradox game, Starbound, Minecraft, or anything else where either the base game changes massively between updates, mods need to be rewritten for each new version, or both.
Officer Hotpants

Double-0 Negative
@Barhandar  
I see it fairly often. Bethesda games are certainly the most frequent offenders, though. I eventually had to give up on understanding how you even fucking install those ENB things.
Barhandar
Artist -

@EverfreeEmergencies  
>amount of steps  
???  
install Script Extender, done, any extras are for compatibility with your system  
Even for SkyUI
Remember when those went “HURR ONLY UPDATES FOR THE RICH PEOPLE PEONS GET BASIC VERSION ONLY” during the first paid mods debacle? Better than midas “ADVERTISEMENTS INGAME” magic, at least.
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide