Video game thread

Officer Hotpants
Rabid Squirrel - Don't pet it.
A toast - Incredibly based
Officer Shid pants - Hi, Im a lil shid.
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Double-0 Negative
@TeamBlueplant  
I have PA but I’ve never played it so I can’t speak to it. But in the campaign, at least, you’ll rarely have more than two fronts to handle. And as a lifelong turtler, I can tell you that there’s no force that can’t be stopped dead in its tracks with the liberal application of clusters of shield towers and lines of turrets several rows deep.

full

And yes. It does. Well, not battleships but the Cybran destroyer-class can walk across land. Pretty viable for what would normally be gimmick weapon, too. A solid tactic is to have a swarm of them in a mixed naval force secure the sea around the enemy’s nearest beach, then send them in for a pincer. Nothing like watching 40 walking destroyers trudge out of the water and scythe through the enemy’s base while most of their defensive units have moved to the front. Aircraft will tear them up if they’re alone but usually not before they rip open the enemy’s asshole.

I should add I wasn’t saying the second game was bad for what it was. Actually I thought it was pretty good as a sort of SupCom-on-the-go title when you’ve got 20 minutes to kill. It just doesn’t offer anything to recommend it over the original. In fact if you told me the first game was the sequel and the second was the original, it would make complete sense.
user7853

@Officer Hotpants  
PA titans is more of a blob and swarm fest than supreme comander though its similar in mechanics with the big difference that you also have space and planets as a 4th tactical layer, though that also means that if someone is turtling too much you can just drop a asteroid or planet on them or say “fuck you, im going down but i will take you with me

supreme comander 2 was already too much of a swarm fest for me though the experimental units broke that up a bit

im more the kind to use small but specialized groups of units and make tactical descitions with them like on dawn of war 2, close combat, imperium 3 and coh 2, even if lelic insists on nerfing germany over and over again because gringo faction players cant properly play around OKW strenghts and weaknesess

that being said i might play supreme comander 1 for the sake of it
FeatherTrap
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Artist -

Knight of Boops
@Officer Hotpants  
Nope, I played the PC version, RTS and console are a bad mix (looking at you, Halo Wars >:C)

But before I get distracted on a tangent that Halo Wars was such a wasted opportunity, and should have instead been more like Company of Heroes: Halo Edition rather then whatever Age of Mythology discount edition it was (Relic should have made it, not Ensemble Studios!! >.<), let me get back to subject.

I never played Planetary Annihilation either, I was excited to hear that it was a spiritual successor to TA and it would take place over an interstellar scale. But after seeing gameplay of it, it felt very “spam most of this unit” with the titular interplanetary devastation being more of a gimmick then anything else.

It certainly didn’t have the same gravitas of the sheer scale of SupCom’s battles. I think the issue is the size of each planet, you just can’t have legions of hundreds strong all fighting each other in real time on what are effectively little ping-pong balls floating in a large, empty void.

@EverfreeEmergencies  
Oh fuck man, don’t even get me started on that shit. This is why Trek always creeped me out, the sheer obsession with materialism and “look at all our cool tech, isn’t it so utopian?!” while meanwhile they casually use methods of transportation that kill their user.
Officer Hotpants

Double-0 Negative
@TeamBlueplant  
When you say “Imperium 3” do you mean Imperium Galactica? Because I thought the series ended at 2.

@FeatherTrap  
Star Trek is so utopian that they can’t go three weeks without some alien empire or space anomaly threatening to destroy the galaxy/universe. And usually it’s the direct fault of the Federation for fucking with something they shouldn’t have (and sometimes KNEW they shouldn’t be).
Mariculture
Artist -
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event

Amateur-er Autist
@FeatherTrap  
Star Trek annoys me more than anything, as much as it’s one of the few TV shows I enjoy. Every episode is like getting just past the climax of a book only to find out the rest is blank pages. Only speaking of TES, since I haven’t watched any others.
Officer Hotpants

Double-0 Negative
@FeatherTrap  
I think that’s why DS9 is everyone’s favorite. Plus it was just nice to have a captain who was all too happy to end your shit if you pushed him. When he threatened to poison that world the Maquis were trying to claim if they didn’t cut the shit with their own world-poisoning antics, and then went through with it when they called his bluff, it was like having the wind knocked out of you. In a good way.
ANoobis
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Book Horse - A user who has contributed to 5k+ metadata changes.

Ghibelline Omnipotens
@EverfreeEmergencies  
Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force. I hear it was actually pretty solid. The one that always threw me was Star Trek: Invasion for PS1. It was basically Colony Wars set in the Star Trek universe. I didn’t even know there were single-ship fighters in Star Trek.

full
user7853

When you say “Imperium 3” do you mean Imperium Galactica? Because I thought the series ended at 2.

nah, a series of rts games set in the roman era, i think it was never released in gringoland for some reason so i guess thats why it isnt well known

there was also a spin off citibuilder game calles imperium civitas
Officer Hotpants

Double-0 Negative
@FeatherTrap  
Immersive Sim is easier to define and narrower in application, to my mind. It’s a simulation that’s trying to simulate an entire interactive world rather than just a few elements of one. Even aspects that are more or less useless to the player for the purpose of completing the game. Typically allows for numerous solutions to most problems as well, due to simulating an entire environment rather than a specific scenario.

Action Adventure is a truly useless term; it must encompass at least some 75% of games. Describing a game by what platform it’s on is more descriptive.
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide