Video game thread

FeatherTrap
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
A toast - Incredibly based
Artist -
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Knight of Boops
@Officer Hotpants  
It’s a made up, overly pretentious definition invented by the same hacks in the Gaming “Journalism” crowd that everyone here loves to laugh at, designed to draw a fake through line between a bunch of games that have only tangentially related mechanics and themes-if any at all.

Thief is a stealth game, Alien: Isolation is a survival horror, Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are FPSRPGs, Dishonored and Prey 2016 are overrated trash.

And wouldn’t you know it, this incredibly vague “genre” that is completely made up by media shill twats just so happens to draw this line between woke trash games and beloved classics. Almost like they’re saying “look, this is exactly the same thing! You should love this too!”. Go figure, wonder why that is.

The “Immersive Sim” doesn’t fucking exist. It’s too vague of a definition to even be usable. I’m reminded of the people who try to tell me that JRPGs are actual role playing games, because you play the role of a character. By that definition anything can be a roleplaying game. Look, in Call of Duty 4 you play the role of Soap, therefore: Modern Warfare is a Roleplaying Game! It even has an XP progression system, case closed!

Obviously I’m not actually saying it is, my point is that this definition is so vague as to be unusable. Japan just make turn-based adventure games, not RPGs. Cope and seethe, J”RPG” fans.

“Action Adventure” is of course, the other one and the impetus to this conversation. I’ve heard that label be applied to so many games, especially over the early 2010’s period, and the only through line between them is “fights happen”. Sometimes they also tend to explore new places, but based on that definition I could call Halo an “Action Adventure” game, which I won’t because that would be cringe.

Here’s just a general rule with genre: If you have to have debates to define and classify what the definition even is, that’s a good sign it’s not a real genre. “Immersive Sim” has about as much meaning and tells me as much about a game’s content as “Lord of the Dance”. It’s worthless, and should be binned.

Also, as Razorfist pointed out: It’s mathematically demonstrable that being labelled an “Immersive Sim” has the same effect on a game’s success as being diagnosed with at least three different forms of late-stage, terminal cancer. The general audience seems to recognise at least on some level it’s a woke buzzword and avoids games slapped with it like Ebola.  
If you want to kill a game before it even launches, or make sure no-one ever touches it again, call it an “Immersive Sim”. If you actually want the game to succeed and get the audience that will appreciate it, describe it by it’s ACTUAL fucking genre.
Absol95

#PSvitaNation
@TeamBlueplant  
This, for sure. While FeatherTrap does have a point with the immersive Sim and Action Adventure labels not being proper terms for actual game genres, I do not agree with his overall bitterness and hate towards Dishonored (particularly the 1st Dishonored) and Prey 2017 at all. Its true that many folks wanted a proper sequel to prey 2006, but sadly, that never happened. Prey 2016 is not bad simply because its not a direct sequel to the 2006 Prey for PC and Xbox 360. Oh, and JRPG’s aren’t RPGS? Yeah, no. That’s not true. Who the fuck made you the Lord of definitions, sir? There’s more to an RPG than having an XP progression system, regardless of where in the world it was developed and designed in. Razorfist has some points, despite what ||Angry”soylent simp for Brie Larson” Brony ||back on Derpi likes to think. However, His way of words and at times his attitude comes off as not only rotten, but also a douchebag near the level of Keemstar, if not exactly.
FeatherTrap
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
A toast - Incredibly based
Artist -
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Knight of Boops
@ANoobis  
Oh God, please don’t jinx it like that, please. >.<

@Barhandar  
Dishonored would be fun if it choose to actually make a good stealth engine, instead of putting the main focus of the game into a system of magical powers and then punish you with a shit ending if you dare to use them apart from blink.
Barhandar
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Artist -
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained (Cheeky Breeky)

@FeatherTrap  
Eldensoulsborne or Soulsbornering?

>then punish you with a shit ending if you dare to use them apart from blink  
It’s actually fucking difficult to get high chaos if you’re not going out of your way to kill things, and chaos only changes by amount of kills - only the achievement relies on not using anything but basic blink.
Absol95

#PSvitaNation
@Barhandar  
>JRPGs aren’t RPGS  
SUUUUUUUUUURE… NOT! Why can’t they be RPGs. RPGS Don’t have to be made in the vein of Ultima or Wizardry in order to be worthy of being called an RPG. There are Strategy (or in other words, tactical) RPGs such as FF Tactics, Advance Wars, Warcraft 1 and 2, and the Shining Force games, and then there are those RPGs that are more on the Action side, such as Ultima, the Secret of Mana Series and Mass Effect games.
Barhandar
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Artist -
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained (Cheeky Breeky)

@Absol95  
Because they have no inherent roleplaying involved. They’re telling stories about predefined characters that you cannot meaningfully affect; the only similar parts are the turn-based combat and ability to arrange stats and so they’re turn-based adventure games.
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide