Vent Thread

UrbanMysticDee
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Bae > Bay
The link color for the wikipedia article on Bowling for Soup isn’t the normal color, it’s a super duper neon color that’s trying to blind me. I can still see it as a ghost image burned into my retinas.
FeatherTrap
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
A toast - Incredibly based
Artist -

Knight of Boops
As if I needed another fucking reason to hate Deep Rock Galactic.

Now it’s bricked my gaming PC.

Everything gone, all the files I didn’t back up to my external hard drive, my only option for gaming and livestreaming with my friends is gone.

What a start to 2022: “This is the year I fully commit myself to digital art design WHOOPS MY COMPUTER’S FUCKIN’ DEAD, HAVE FUN PISSANT!”
Officer Hotpants
Rabid Squirrel - Don't pet it.
Officer Shid pants - Hi, Im a lil shid.

Double-0 Negative
God damn it. Browser’s latest patch finally forced me to give up my Luna theme. They’ve managed to transform what used to be a dark theme into a blazing bright light theme with the pointless little cosmetic changes they introduce with every “update”.

@FeatherTrap  
The fuck? How did that even happen?
Adán Druego
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Artist -

@FeatherTrap  
Okay, being serious here, have you tried turning it off and on again, like draining all the power by unplugging everything from the computer and holding the power button for a minute or so? It couldn’t hurt.
FeatherTrap
Artist -

Knight of Boops
@Napsack  
Okay, what happens is that the computer turns on, there’s lights on the tower and everything. The issue is that the screen goes black, I don’t even make it to the login screen.

We thought at first that it was an issue with the monitor cable, but I have the same consistent issue across multiple monitors so that rules that out, I think. Something broke in the tower and I have no idea what.

my friend who’s been helping my troubleshoot says that the best guess is that the graphics card fried.

which is a simple fix because we all know how cheap and easy they are to get a hold of these days
Napsack
Rampant Stag - A swift sidekick
Rampant Squirrel - A ferocious friend
Donor | Pinkie Pie - Pie family best family
Liberty Belle -

Senior Moderator
Glare Mare
@FeatherTrap  
You’ve tried reseating everything, I assume? I had a similar issue with my computer a year or two back and after spending two hours fucking with the thing and ending up assuming the mobo somehow broke, I by chance discovered all I had to do was reseat the ram. Computers are stupid.
FeatherTrap
Artist -

Knight of Boops
@Napsack  
Can you please rephrase what you’re asking me to do there in at least three degrees dumber/boomer? I had someone else build my computer, I do not dare open that casing because I know I will somehow break everything by looking at it funny.

Like, phrase that instruction assuming you’re talking to someone who doesn’t get what you mean when you say you can’t download hardware. Assume that level of PC building illiteracy cause that’s not far off the mark for me.
Napsack
Liberty Belle -

Senior Moderator
Glare Mare
@FeatherTrap  
What I’m saying to do isn’t too complicated. If you’re feeling capable, just open up your pc and take certain pieces out of their slots and put them back again. It’s much like unplugging a cable from the wall and reinserting it.

The most important parts for this are the ram sticks and the graphics card itself. Both should be fairly simple to remove, though the graphics card might need a screwdriver. You may also wish to unplug and reseat the connections to your hard drive as well. Just make sure to put everything back where you found it.

If you need me to be more specific or just more info in general, just ask.
Adán Druego
Artist -

@Napsack  
That’s kind of what I meant. Power down the tower, unplug everything, even the keyboard and mouse, hold down the power button for a few minutes, then plug things back in.
Napsack
Liberty Belle -

Senior Moderator
Glare Mare
@FeatherTrap  
Alright, time to break out the pictures I guess.

This is a motherboard. Or it should be, idk if that image linked correctly. Everything in a pc connects to this, and so you’ll find everything you need to mess with here.

In the upper right of the motherboard, towards the top of your pc tower, you’ll find the ram sticks. There should be several slots filled with little flat pieces of metal and plastic. Remove these by unlocking the little plastic clips at their base and pulling them up and out.

The cables connecting your hard drive to your motherboard should be located just below these. They will be flat cables leading up to the upper right of your tower. there is a plastic clip holding it in place, simply holding this in the same way you would hold a clip on your average child lock should enable you to take it out.

The graphics card should be located in the bottom left of your motherboard. If it’s a large one then it will likely be held in place by a screw. You will require a screwdriver to take it out, in all likelihood. There will be a plastic clip like the ones that held in your ram on the side opposite the cables that run out of your pc.

It should be obvious, but make sure to unplug everything before doing any of this. You don’t want to get electrocuted and a number of cables will get in your way. Also make sure to be gentle, but firm. Twisting or forcing parts will only break things further, but being gentle yet firm will get you where you need to be.
Athena

@FeatherTrap  
If you do decide to try reseating components, make sure you ground yourself first to prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage from occurring! It’s very unlikely as long as you’re not wearing staticky clothing such as polyester or wool and you occasionally touch a grounded object though.

Apart from that though, the inside of a computer is less delicate than you’d think. As long as you document every cable/component that you’ve unplugged, you should be good!
Mariculture
Artist -

Amateur-er Autist
It should be obvious, but make sure to unplug everything before doing any of this.

Flip the switch on psu, unplug, then hold down the computer’s power button so it drains everything. I doubt it causes any issues, but a lot of people forget the third part.
ponypony221
Chatty Kirin -

Excessively based homo
@FeatherTrap  
I have had this happen on old motherboards. I never figured out why it happens. It gets stuck during the hand-off from the BIOS to the OS. Maybe something to do with memory, or incorrect bootup settings (like a stuck sleep mode).

Try completely draining the power. Unplug it, remove the BIOS battery (the watch battery on the motherboard), and attempt to start it. Then leave it sit for a while. Put it all back and try to start it again. It might take more than one try.

Even if that does fix it, this problem doesn’t actually go away and will come back.

EDIT: This is often connected to it not shutting off correctly, like it trying to start right back up after you turn it off.
FeatherTrap
Artist -

Knight of Boops
Well, Happy New Year everyone!

Good job making it through 2020 Part II: Brandon Boogaloo. Who’s ready to make the trilogy with 2020 Part III: Jab or Gulag?
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide