Hotmail, Outlook, Live users: Email is working again, you should be able to recover your accounts.

Video game thread

Officer Hotpants
Rabid Squirrel - Don't pet it.
A toast - Incredibly based
Officer Shid pants - Hi, Im a lil shid.
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Double-0 Negative
@FeatherTrap  
If I remember correctly, didn’t Hello Games actually lose all their work on the game due to a flood late in development? Also Chucklefish did have the talent. But they refused to pay the talent.
FeatherTrap
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Artist -

Knight of Boops
@Officer Hotpants  
The version I heard said they didn’t loose any data from that flood. If that’s wrong, bitch at Internet Historian about it >.<

Also on the note of Starbound: whatever you do, don’t try to covert ocean planets with healing water. >.<

I tried that once. The game…

full

…doesn’t like that

full
Barhandar
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Artist -
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained (Cheeky Breeky)

lose all their work on the game due to a flood
>what is cloud storage  
>what is backups  
>what is keeping server racks raised and NOT placing the server room under any water piping  
@FeatherTrap  
As always, they did the laziest thing and replaced them with EPPs. Remember to bring the frosty backpack to lavaland! Oh and for some reason it still helps you on frozen worlds…even though it should do the exact opposite >.<
Because gradual upgrades lol.  
No really, why are they butthurt about it anyway? Have they ever stated a reason?
No idea. Might be what Azure said:  
@Azure Fang  
The fun thing there is that they originally worked directly with members of the Terraria team to implement similar content. It was around the Giraffe build transition (which I think coincided with Rho leaving the team aand a significant bit of her work being stripped even though the split was “amicable”) that they went full “Terraria bad!” mode.
Methinks it was about as “amicable” as the purge of dissenters was “hacker’s work”. And/or chucklefucks were paranoid about IP claims.
Azure Fang

Oh no, he's here?
@FeatherTrap  
The one conversion cascade effect they should have eliminated but didn’t. Fun fact: if you do that and stay on the planet long enough, it can lead to a memory overflow, even though the game chunk loads, due to how ocean planets are filled and how horribly optimized the engine is. Useless fact: I accidentally fixed a minor bug on ocean planets with one of my mods and didn’t even know the bug existed until about a year later when I saw it magically “fixed”. Thanks Chuckles.
Azure Fang

Oh no, he's here?
@Officer Hotpants  
Blame the poorly integrated bounty hunter system for that one. Something about how the system tries to hot-load its changes into the planet generation system can flat-out break ocean/magma/toxic worlds.
Officer Hotpants

Double-0 Negative
@Azure Fang  
Oh, don’t even get me started on on the fucking bounty hunter update. That broke SO MANY THINGS. Mechs, weapons, entire races. God, what a shit show that was.

@Azure Fang  
Remember when they couldn’t figure out how to make mechs work for years and then a bunch of people figured it out in, like, a week of fiddling with them as a hobby?
Azure Fang

Oh no, he's here?
@Officer Hotpants  
Months before launch:  
“Hey, XS Mechs did it, why can’t we? Didn’t we also promise mechs in the pre-order/crowdfunding campaign? Ah well, what’s next on the ‘remove before 1.0 list’?”

A YEAR AFTER LAUNCH:  
“Here’s mechs. Oh, by the way, we broke a ton of other stuff to make them and most of the crew that would fix it have left the company, sooo…. have fun!”

TWO YEARS LATER:  
“Remember when we broke everything with mechs? Well, one intern decided to take over the bounty hunter content we promised and abandoned and it breaks everything. Cya! Back to never releasing the console port we stopped working on the bounty hunter update to work on!”
FeatherTrap
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Artist -

Knight of Boops
Actually I just realised while looking through my own Starbound screenshots…I have actually done something more evil in game then the previous story >.<

full

The most evil thing I’ve done in a videogame is destroy entire communities of gnomes, and then holding them prisoner to use them as throwing weapons.

Just to laugh at the sounds of them screaming in terror as I throw them.

It’s probably that. That’s probably the most evil thing I’ve done in a video game.
Officer Hotpants

Double-0 Negative
@FeatherTrap  
Oh yeah. Gnomes. There was a neat little mod that let you build gnome cities.

@Azure Fang  
Oh god. I was thinking earlier that Chucklefucks’ logo may be a scarlet letter to compete with EA’s or Activision’s. The fish in front of the Epic logo, though? Eugh…

Starmancer looks neat. As long as they’re only publishing it I’ll have to give that a look.
Barhandar
Artist -

@Azure Fang  
What are Starmancer and Witchbrook anyway?

@Officer Hotpants  
>may be a scarlet letter to compete with EA’s  
Fun fact about obscure things: Minecraft has a mod called Botania. In it, there’s an item called Rune of Greed.  
Its symbol originated as a sideways EA logo.
Azure Fang

Oh no, he's here?
@Barhandar  
StarMancer

Witchbrook is, pretty much, Chucklefish making a Stardew Valley meets Little Witch Academia, but developing it in-house (like Starbound was). It was originally teased in documentation as coming to Steam, then suddenly that was expunged from everything, leading some to believe they’re negotiating EGS paid-exclusivity.
Barhandar
Artist -

@Azure Fang  
Starmancer sounds like what SS13 would be if AI didn’t have laws and had ability to build the station from scratch, with visuals from a mix of Evil Genius and Ragnarok Online.  
While Witchbrook is, basically, how much do you want to bet that they’ll cut the actual farming content from it to nOtBeLiKeStArDeW?
Mariculture
Artist -

Amateur-er Autist
@Barhandar  
Starmancer is trying to fill the void Spacebase DF-9 left, hopefully without the ‘abandoned in early access’ part. I threw a few bucks at the kickstarter a few years ago, but they stopped sending out newsletters so I haven’t heard much about it recently. They put out a public demo a few months back that wasn’t too bad though.

Kind of a space station city builder, I guess would be a decent way to put it. If city builders also involved defending them from attacks and worrying about keeping your citizens alive.
Officer Hotpants

Double-0 Negative
@Barhandar  
Pfft! Lovely.

@Azure Fang  
For some reason when I look at Witchbrook I’m reminded of Gaiaonline’s renovation of the towns feature about a decade back, if that means anything to anyone. God, but it has been ages since I last visited that site.

@EverfreeEmergencies  
If city builders also involved defending them from attacks and worrying about keeping your citizens alive.

So The Sims 3, basically?
Barhandar
Artist -

@Azure Fang  
Double Fine means you pay twice!  
Ft. Psychonauts being unable to handle USB laser mouse, having the cursor controlled by it moving diagonally only (no such problem with PS/2 optical).  
@EverfreeEmergencies  
Honestly just let real players take control of the NPCs and it’ll literally be SS13. And very likely far, far more successful than any SS13 clone with jrafiks since those miss the point of the pure autism that game is.

@Officer Hotpants  
For some reason when I look at Witchbrook I’m reminded of Gaiaonline’s renovation of the towns feature about a decade back, if that means anything to anyone. God, but it has been ages since I last visited that site.
Same visual style, that being “isometric weeb”.
Mariculture
Artist -

Amateur-er Autist
@Azure Fang  
That and Enforcer: Police Crime Action are why I don’t touch early access titles anymore. Either give me the full game or let me forget it exists. That said, Satisfactory does look pretty interesting.  
@Barhandar  
It’d be interesting to see how long until it evolved into a game of paranoia, considering you play as the station’s A.I. core normally. You more or less already are friend computer.
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide