We're shutting down! Read more here

(Neigh! Winny!) Unpopular Pony Opinion Thread!

Anonymous #0C8D
@Havoc  
That’s fine, but it doesn’t change that they never gave her a character and that she and Mac had little rapport with each other.
Fleur de Lis
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Artist -
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

déanaim seitreach
Even though there are many good or even great episodes after it, A Canterlot Wedding was a major breaking point for the show. Even though other aspects may still be very good, the show’s mythological aspect is destroyed here. Because this is the episode that nukes the mythological status of the alicorn princesses. It introduces a new alicorn who at least at this point completely was not a participant in the mythology, and Celestia is easily defeated by the villain of the week. After all this it makes a lot of sense for the main character to become an alicorn as well, even if that does not be a positive change.

It also marks a major shift in the depicted world-view. “Where before there was a sort of contempt and mockery of high society culture, now there is indulgence and outright celebration.”  
>>381085
πʊßƛįϰ

@Fleur de Lis  
You can’t forget that it also introduces a big brother to the protagonist out of nowhere (though Twilight at least gives an explanation as to why she never mentioned him before then). Either way, Twilight’s parents have some serious connections. Is her mom the head of the Canterlot Intelligence Agency or something?
RavenandWritingDesk

@Fleur de Lis

Cadence and Shining are fine in concept, they need major re-working to be interesting characters and to slot Cadence into the mythos properly but their useful characters to have on hand to add dimensions to Twilight as well as have a Younger Goddess to bridge between the new diety and the old immortals.

Also, with a few extra lines of dialogue you could work Celestia takeing an L to Chrysalis, like as Goddess of the Sun I could see her being like Head Captain Yamamoto from Bleach where he rarely fights because even a little of his power causes major collateral damage. So Celestia might be able to vaporise Chrtsalis with ease on a battlefield but in the middle of a city at a crowded wedding it would have done more harm than good. Also I think Celestia starting to heat up and Cryssy chastising her for not being careful with her temper would have been a great character moment.

Either way it needs more work to iron out the holes.

For me Canterlot Wedding’s real issues is it the first time the higher ups stuck their nose into the story for the sake of product placement, which would become a running theme and open the door for more corperate dickery as time went on.
Anonymous #6FBE
I was really hoping the pandemic might help kill Pony Life by staggering the release of the second season. Seems it’s coming back for season 2 soon… and it looks like it’s introducing furries full stop.

It might still die, depending on how it’s toy sales and ratings are doing, only having a single season for over a year now may have hurt its popularity but I don’t know. Furthermore G5’s release at the end of the year might cannibalize interest in it. Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if it was a mistake on Hasbro’s part to have too many pony-related things out at once. That seems like a good way of creating brand confusion and fracturing viewership.
Anonymous #6FBE
@Fleur de Lis  
Oof, that’s actually a good point. I hadn’t thought about it before, but now that you mention it, this is all looking eerily similar to the things Hasbro was doing to devalue the MLP brand before Friendship is Magic revitalized it.
Anonymous #6FBE
@πʊßƛįϰ  
I was talking more about splitting the audience and casing brand confusion rather than splitting the fanbase. EqG may have split the fanbase, but it was created at a time when FiM was at its height and was a clear offshoot meant to go for a slightly different market.
ANoobis
A toast - Incredibly based
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Book Horse - A user who has contributed to 5k+ metadata changes.
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.

Ghibelline Omnipotens
@Anonymous #6FBE  
Brand confusion. Such a rabbit hole to get lost in. Just a few more knockoffs to grow their own exclusive fanbases, and we’ll collectively be demonized as ‘unpleasable man-babies’ just like the Sonic fandom.
Anonymous #6FBE
@Havoc  
You’re going to have to try and articulate that. I’ve gotten over my dislike of that ship, but it still seems like bland mixed with bland to me.
πʊßƛįϰ

@Dex Stewart  
I hear that Pony Life was a pleasant surprise to most skeptics. It has the same problem as Steven Universe in getting me to actually watch it: I dislike the art style. It’s good that they visually differentiated themselves to show that it’s a different kind of show from FiM but the style screams “90 second fan animation”, not “official MLP media”

@ANoobis  
As if this wasn’t already our proud reputation.
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide