We're shutting down! Read more here

Random Nonsense Thread

UrbanMysticDee
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Bae > Bay
@AlsoSprachOdin  
that’s a crock of shit. people pay what they’re told to pay because they’re idiots. The price doesn’t reflect the true value of the thing.

It’s like those ridiculously overpriced pony dolls that people sell at conventions for $1000 or more. You could get something that looks the same and is just as good from a Chinese sweatshop for $30. The fact that some white person in America made it doesn’t make it a hundred times more valuable.

Or the Dalmore Constellation Collection whisky. It’s over $200,000 with the most expensive single bottle over $60,000. It’s not 1,000 times better whisky than a $60 bottle. Real reviewers, people who dedicate their entire lives to whisky, will tell you it tastes like shit and comes in tacky bottles with little plastic emblems hot glued to them. It’s an obviously inferior product that idiots with more money than brains will pay an exorbitant price for.

Or Ferraris. Ferraris don’t use better parts (Ferruccio Lamborghini, who owned a tractor factory, famously started his own luxury car brand when he found tractor parts made in his factory in the Ferrari luxury car he bought), they don’t have better leather, or better stitching, the power seats and windows often stop working and the entire master computer of the car has to be returned to the manufacturer to be rebooted, they break all the time and spend more time in the shop than you spend driving them, but people will tell you “Yeah, but it’s a Ferrari, so deal with it.” It’s very clearly a poorly made piece of shit that idiots pay a whole lot of money for, but that doesn’t mean it’s really worth that much money, people are just idiots.

And again, and again, and again, and again.

Products aren’t worth what people are willing to pay because:

1. Markets are often quasi-monopolies (like eyeglasses or semiconductors) so there’s no real competition  
  2. Customers don’t have full information on the cost of materials and labor that goes into a product so they can’t make an informed choice  
  3. Price is in many cases inelastic (again, like eyeglasses or semiconductors or insulin) so companies can put a gun to your head and coerce you to pay whatever they tell you  
  4. Customers are very often gullible and can be suckered into paying more than a thing is worth  
  5. Prices fluctuate throughout the year so “sales” follow months of higher than normal pricing, making the “sale” price equivalent to the baseline price, but the prices change so slowly over the year that only someone who obsesses over following prices will notice

And again, and again, and again.

If people can’t make an informed choice free from coercion or manipulation and the market has no competition then people aren’t really “willing” to pay those prices, people are forced to pay those prices because they have no other choice (or are ignorant of other choices that may exist in niche markets, which is the same as those niche suppliers not existing as far as the customer is concerned).
AlsoSprachOdin

@UrbanMysticDee  
>The price doesn’t reflect the true value of the thing.  
I never said it did.  
>Products aren’t worth what people are willing to pay  
They are to the seller.  
>people are forced to pay those prices  
There’s usually a choice. We just rarely get the choices we want. Dying is one of them, but we’re veering into semantics, now.
Officer Hotpants
Rabid Squirrel - Don't pet it.
A toast - Incredibly based
Officer Shid pants - Hi, Im a lil shid.

Double-0 Negative
@UrbanMysticDee  
Actually it does. Because you need the former more than the latter. You don’t have nearly as much of an option. And a wall of “but I don’t like that answer” doesn’t make it untrue.
AlsoSprachOdin

@UrbanMysticDee  
“Not a free choice”. Not a true Scotsman. As I said, we’re veering into semantics. People have chosen to die for many different reasons, and we’re not talking about dying here, we’re talking about baby clothes. You absolutely can choose to sew your own baby clothes if your time is worth the savings.
FeatherTrap
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Artist -

Knight of Boops
Okay, just so everyone is clear on this matter:

Acting in bad faith is a form of intentional dishonesty that involves the deliberate act of misleading someone or engaging under false pretenses, or otherwise not meeting legal and or social obligations.

A bad faith actor in an argument is usually someone who starts or engages in one under false pretense to slander the other side, lead them into a ‘gotcha’ trap or otherwise build themselves up rather then engaging in honest dialogue.

It is not someone who points out an obvious flaw in your shitty fucking opinion.

Are we clear on that regard everyone? Good, then we can continue.
TheBridge
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event

I know NOTHING
\  
__ SNES
\  
^
\  
|_______\  
_______________\  
________________\  
________________\  
__________________\  
__________________\  
___________________\  
___________________*\ |_|  
_________________________/ \

A dog who is uncertain of the prospects of ascending a mountain to find a SNES so he can be a real gamer. Philomena is fickle with ASCII art and I have had previous attempts be completely messed up.

EDIT: Wow, it is worse than I thought! I thought it was due to white space but I guess Philomena either doesn’t like repeating lettering or it gets messed up by some type of compression.

Here is what it looked like:  
full

@Officer Hotpants  
@UrbanMysticDee  
The word VALUE, it is to be observed, has two different meanings, and sometimes expresses the utility of some particular object, and sometimes the power of purchasing other goods which the possession of that object conveys. The one may be called ‘value in use;’ the other, ‘value in exchange.’ The things which have the greatest value in use have frequently little or no value in exchange; and, on the contrary, those which have the greatest value in exchange have frequently little or no value in use. Nothing is more useful than water; but it will purchase scarce any thing; scarce any thing can be had in exchange for it. A diamond, on the contrary, has scarce any value in use; but a very great quantity of other goods may frequently be had in exchange for it.

Adam Smith  
Relevant to ponder. Though Adam Smith doesn’t subscribe to Subjective Value Theory at all (and it didn’t even exist then) the main point of contention here. Anything more would probably be better fitted in the politics thread I suppose.
FeatherTrap
Artist -

Knight of Boops
@TheBridge  
This art is too deep for me, man. I don’t get it.

Does the dog represent the innocence of childhood? Why is the SNES on the mountain? If the mountain is so big, why won’t it fite me gud?
TheBridge

I know NOTHING
@FeatherTrap  
It represents the ruins of civilization and decline. The dog is but a child, born of the generation of smartphones and apps, trying to grasp something better but only working from vauge direction without guidance. That is what is for many who fully grasp the problems of our current age but not the solution for it, standing amidst of the ruins of yesterday and trying to discern old wisdom from old failures that lead us here. or maybe it just represents me finding my grandparent’s old SNES but none of the games :(
TheBridge

I know NOTHING
@Officer Hotpants  
It was originally suppose to be a pony but I gave up as my extreme lower tier ASCII art skills couldn’t pull it off

Yeah, though I was never good at them, they were some of the first games I played. Despite Mario being 3d longer than I was alive Mario feels a little off to me as a 3d character because of it.

@UrbanMysticDee  
Yes, and certain aspects of him are/were underappreciated by many of the turbocapitialist who love him.

@Dex Stewart  
Such memes always remind me of that guy who named his kids “M” and some super long name I can’t recall so they would have different names that were unique and thus help them stand out. Can’t find the article now though.
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide