Viewing last 25 versions of post by AlsoSprachOdin in topic The Nerd Thread (Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Comics, Games, Collectibles, Lore, etc.)

AlsoSprachOdin

"[@ANoobis":](/forums/dis/topics/the-nerd-thread-sci-fi-fantasy-comics-games-collectibles-lore-etc?post_id=68309#post_68309
)  
Okay, the Rice thing is a surprise. Indeed, "I did not know that Anne Rice had a "proletarian and Democratic soul.""

I can sort of understand their issue, although Diana Gabaldon goes about it a lot better. Characters evidently mean a lot to some authors, and I wouldn't want to upset someone who seems as nice as Gabaldon. But I think the genie really is out of the bottle and there's nothing to do but ignore the fanfiction and grow some skin. These days I can't imagine you could act like Rice and not lose a whole lot of costumers.

I also think Martin has a point regarding Marion Zimmer Bradley, who was apparently threatened with lawsuit by a fanfiction author because their stories shared some similarities. How are you supposed to prove that you didn't get a particular idea from one of several million fanfics of your story. But then again, how would you prove that of any story? I think pretty much every plot progression, point and twist has already been told, and the only thing left is the difference in the details.
I guess authors just should avoid interacting with fanfiction until their series is done.  
Also, C.S. Lewis was a nice man.
No reason given
Edited by AlsoSprachOdin