Headcanon thread

Sapphie
Rampant Bear - A courageous companion
Autist -
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Lil Importer Shid - Hi, Im a lil shid.
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Senior Moderator
Unavailable
Given that I couldn’t find a headcanon thread, lemme start one.

One of my headcanons is about Luna’s banishment. When the elements of harmony sent her to the moon, they split her soul up into 23 pieces. The largest piece ended up sealed away on the moon, and, alone, it wasn’t powerful enough to break free. The remaining 22 pieces were reborn as mortal ponies who would each inherit some aspect of Luna.  
Some would inherit her love for her sister, and would end up devoting their lives to the sun princess. Others, on the other hand would inherit her resentment for Celestia, and would waste their lives in futile rebellion.  
Others would get obsessed with the night sky.  
Those are only the extreme examples though. A lot of lunar entities would have those tendencies, but would never act on them enough to define their life through it.  
All those ponies ended up looking in some way similar to Luna. Never quite carbon copies, they often had dark coats with some shade of blue in their mane.  
When one of them would die, the bit of Luna’s soul they held would get reborn as a foal.  
Eventually, a unicorn ended up inheriting her scholar tendencies while being born into high society. She asked herself the right questions and came to the correct conclusion. According to her theory, in order for Luna to be reborn, the pieces souls outside the moon needed to be strong enough to break the barrier, which implied that most of the soul’s shreds had to be unbound by flesh. In other words, every pony who held some of her soul needed to be dead at the same time.  
She founded a secret group comprised of only Luna’s descendants. Many centuries later, that group finally found all (most?) of the missing soul’s bits. On the 1000th Summer Sun celebration, those willing committed suicide, while the unwilling were murdered.

Bonus headcanon: Twilight Sparkle was born with Luna’s affinity for the stars (i.e. magic), and was the only part of Luna’s soul that was still bound when the lunar regent was resurrected. As a result, she accidentally absorbed a big chunk of the souls that were freed that night, which eventually led to her becoming an alicorn.
Havoc
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Artist - shidtist
U Lil Shid - Hi, Im a lil shid.
Chatty Kirin - A shidder who has reached 1000 combined forum shids or comments.
Liberty Belle - Shids the song of the unshidded

Half Dragon, Half Meme
There is no human Sunset because Sunset was born human and ended up in Equestria as a baby.
Havoc
Artist - shidtist

Half Dragon, Half Meme
@Dex Stewart  
Actually, part of my headcanon is that her parents became hyper paranoid after losing her, resulting in overprotecting their next kid. No twin, but a baby brother.
Sapphie
Autist -

Senior Moderator
Unavailable
@Havoc  
Ah, so it’s shifting the question from “Why is there no human sunset?” to “Why is there no pony sunset?”  
Wait I just realised…  
I’ve seen people talk about “Why is there no human sunset”, but what about twilight? Does she have a human equivalent? I have a feeling I’m asking a really stupid question
Havoc
Artist - shidtist

Half Dragon, Half Meme
@Sapphie  
So there can be a lesson about how you’re the only you and you are special.

You haven’t watched EQG, have you? Human Twi/Sci-Twi joined the cast after the third movie. Where she played the villain.
Sapphie
Autist -

Senior Moderator
Unavailable
@Havoc  
I forced myself to watch the first two. Despised the first one, dislied the second one. When the third came out I couldn’t be assed to watch something I knew I wouldn’t like.
Havoc
Artist - shidtist

Half Dragon, Half Meme
I think the kirins may be immortal. There’s no way that a population that small, living in such a confined space, could last 1000s of years in complete isolation.
ANoobis
A toast - Incredibly based
Book Horse - A user who has contributed to 5k+ metadata changes.

Ghibelline Omnipotens
The movie set hippogriffs up to be extremely vicious fighters. When the Storm King’s invasion was steamrolling Canterlot, Celestia’s immediate thought was to get the hippogriffs to save them. At the end, Skystar, a single adolescent, removed the entire Canterlot garrison from play by holding the ramp to the finale by herself.

Further, one of the few things that we ever learn about them post-movie is that they have a navy that’s at the technological level of the Age of Discovery. The vessel Rockhoof sank was modeled after a carrack.

full

From what we’ve seen on screen, that puts them at number two in the world in terms of military tech, after only the Storm King’s empire. If not for their isolationist bent, they’d be a major power on the global stage. Possibly in the vein of a maritime republic.
Sapphie
Autist -

Senior Moderator
Unavailable
So like…  
Ever notice how the vast majority of ponies in the show have a pleasing colour scheme? Or at least one that doesn’t clash with itself?  
I know the decision is purely visual, but what if it wasn’t?  
I like to imagine that selective reproductive pressure was applied on ponies. Given that mares outnumber males three to one, it’s fair to assume that many a mare might go childless.  
Now, add onto that the concept of colours that clash isn’t a subjective issue (the reason some colours clash and others don’t is because of the trichromatic way in which we perceive colour), you have that ponies evolved to have coherent colour schemes.  
Thanks for coming to my TISM Talk
ANoobis
Book Horse - A user who has contributed to 5k+ metadata changes.

Ghibelline Omnipotens
I got the impression that pegasi and unicorns might not be as isolated as earth ponies in G5. Zipp, Pipp and Izzy rolled with it a lot better than Hitch or Sunny when they met different ponies. When Zephyr Heights discovered an earth pony loose in the capital, they just got over it and turned their attention to arresting the royals, which is more important, apparently. And Bridlewood was hardly flapped. They were more intent on claiming the crystals for Alphabittle. And when the pegasus queen and some soldiers show up, the unicorns and pegasi sniped like an old married couple, rather than react like they were in the presence of enemies.

It feels like the unicorns and pegasi get out more, and it’s just the earth ponies who are huddled in their little enclave. The unicorns and pegasi interact in a way that suggests they just don’t like each other, not that they’re complete strangers.
Sapphie
Autist -

Senior Moderator
Unavailable
@ANoobis  
I think it’s because Pegasi and Unicorns kinda just thought “yeah, the other races are dipshit retards” and just kinda moved on. Meanwhile, Earth ponies had this whole “we were at war, and we need to be ready to fuck them up again” kinda spiel. They were a lot more paranoid, since it’s easier to be scared of opponents who can fly and alledgedly fry your brains.
FeatherTrap
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Artist -

Knight of Boops
Okay so, The Crystalling episode gave me a wild headcanon theory, born out of Fridge Logic from what was-from the writers-almost certainly a throwaway line to try and get the audience to just accept that Flurry was born an alicorn.

I call it: Luna-Bloods Theory.

Okay, so I don’t know if anypony noticed, but the writers (most likely unintentionally) implied something. When the Mane Six are all in shock about Flurry being born an alicorn, Celestia and Luna say something very interesting…at least once you think about it for a moment.

Think about the context of the situation they’re in (Flurry Heart, the daughter of an alicorn princess). Now, the birth of Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake, not to mention the techniclour rainbow families with no consistent colour-scheme through line do imply that pony genetics are not as easy to sort as our human counterparts. But anypony should be able to consider the idea that Alcorn can give birth to an Alicorn. There simply hasn’t been a previous example of this, so nopony would have any frame of reference.

…or wait. Do they?

This is what interested me. Intentionally or not, the writers implied:  
  • At least one Alicorn has had children before.  
  • None of these children where born Alicorns themselves.  
  • This Alicorn had enough children (and possibly, these children themselves had enough offspring) to act as a suitable sample size to propose that birthing a pony with the “Alicorn Gene” as dominant is impossible.

There are four alicorns we know existed before Flurry, one of them is Twilight who never even had a confirmed romance interest in the show, and another is Cadance who is Flurry’s mummy.  
    That leaves the two sisters as the only possible candidates themselves. So who’s the mummy? Well, simple process of elimination.

One of the sisters has been Equestria’s God Empress for at least a millennia, and any children of hers-even mortal children-would be revered by the populace as demi-gods, or failing that at least as ponies of great historical importance and significance. They’d be princes, the heirs to Equestria. Naturally, we never hear of any one such pony. Nopony mentions them, there are no statues or memorials in their honour, they are never mentioned by her.

The other sister has disappeared into myth after trying to kill her sister, her presence only an old pony’s tale to frighten little fillies on Nightmare Night. And any children she had would probably be forgotten by history as well, especially since bearing her name after she turned into Nightmare Moon probably would have been a brand of shame.

I think we have an obvious answer here.

Luna had foals, foals that where forgotten by history. But even forgotten as they where, their bloodlines have continued on, and they’ve inherited some of their alicorn progenitor’s power. Thus: Luna-Bloods.

Assuming there is any weight to this theory at all, I definitely think that Starlight Glimmer is a Luna-Blood, that’s my explanation for her OP PLZ NERF levels of magic (I mean in-universe explanation, I’m sure everyone will quickly jump down my tonsillitis-ridden throat to offer me unsolicited meta explanations relating to certain choice show writers), And I think that maybe Night Light comes from a Luna-Bloodline too, which would make Shining Armor and Twilight Sparkle Luna-Bloods as well.

Of course, this was a wild theory that jumped into my head drinking chocolate milk as I processed a throwaway line from writers who where just trying to get us to accept an Alicorn Filly to sell the newest playset from Hasbro. I’m sure this is all bullshit, and the meta explanation for this can be summed up with those three words. X)

πʊßƛįϰ

@ANoobis  
That parallels a theory I’ve had about 1984 since high school. Airstrip One is the only totalitarian dystopia. The rest of the world is normal. Think of it as if the Isle of Great Britain became North Korea rather than post-apocalyptic fascism.

@Sapphie  
Were either Zipp or Pipp shocked to find out that unicorns don’t have magic or was that only Sunny? That may also be why the Pegasi were so grill pilled.
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide