G5 discussion thread

ANoobis
A toast - Incredibly based
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Book Horse - A user who has contributed to 5k+ metadata changes.
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Ghibelline Omnipotens
I’m wondering why the royal family is still the royal family. Even if everyone is happy that magic happened to return, the royals are still frauds. At the very least, sideline them as figureheads and run the place as a parliamentary democracy.
πʊßƛįϰ

@ANoobis  
They’re the ponies with experience as heads of state (and the populace may actively like Zipp). It’s a case of “wait, we don’t actually have anypony better” or “too much risk we vote in somepony worse.”
Adán Druego
Artist -

The Vanishing

Phones  
Pipp: I want it. I NEED it.

Horns  
Misty: AHHHHHH!!!!!

Ears  
Jazz: Oh please, I’m cute with or without them.
IvanSatoru
Artist -
Boot badge - It's Bootiful

Angle-Considerer
The magic comes back, and with just one day— even just a few hours —of practice, or heck, even no practice at all, they become skilled as if they’ve been doing it for years. And if they’re being mean to each other, the magic turns off.
IvanSatoru
Artist -

Angle-Considerer
I liked the concept of earth pony magic in g4. It was very subtle yet unmistakeable to anyone who paid attention. It was special and very distinct from the other types of magic. In g5, earth ponies grow mature plants instantly. I guess that’s cool, but it’s not subtle at all.
ANoobis
Book Horse - A user who has contributed to 5k+ metadata changes.

Ghibelline Omnipotens
You think there was a part of Starlight and Discord that was miffed by Twilight taking the magic away? They were both treated like villains when they did it.
Adán Druego
Artist -

@ANoobis  
I immediately thought of Cozy Glow. She tried to basically vacuum up all of Equestria’s magic. While Tirek wanted the magic to empower himself, Cozy was just going to essentially displace it into some other dimension, thus leaving ponies magicless but still capable. If I remember correctly, pegasi even lost their flight due to Cozy’s actions, so G5 starting scenario achieved.
Fleur de Lis
Artist -

déanaim seitreach

I really like the movement of the joint above the hoof here.

ALL of the G4 alicorns had far better colour schemes though.

So, Make Your Mark Chapter 2. Not bad, and there is a lot that is enjoyable enough, but G5 still lacks the believability of early G4, which made it something more than a show I would watch once and never care about again.

In conclusion: Meh.
IvanSatoru
Artist -

Angle-Considerer
Oh yeah — bring Sunny’s braid back. What was the point of getting rid of it? It looked good. Is it because muh symbolisms? And ditch the ugly Romanian flag stripe. Who even thought that was a good idea?
Posted Report
πʊßƛįϰ

@Adan Druego  
When you put it that way, I’ll add a new missed FiM opportunity to the list: the opportunity to treat Cozy as the Theodore Kaczynski of Equestria.

@IvanSatoru  
Too many dimensions.

@Fleur de Lis  
I agree with your conclusion. FiM had some real stinkers. G5 has mostly been just kind of there—its biggest WTF moments are all in how it keeps milking Twilight Sparkle’s dead body. G5 when it’s just G5 would be pretty OK if they had the budget to make the animation good and add more songs.

@IvanSatoru  
I agree with the 7. Neither of them seem like sex-crazed maniacs, but I can imagine Zipp falling for Hitch because he’s a far more suitable suitor to be her prince consort than the stallions Haven tries to set her up with back home. It also gets Hitch out of Sunny’s options to force Sunny to accept Izzy’s advances.
Posted Report
Officer Hotpants
Rabid Squirrel - Don't pet it.
Officer Shid pants - Hi, Im a lil shid.

Double-0 Negative
@πʊßƛįϰ  
I didn’t even think about Sunny. Which is especially bad given that she’s supposed to be the primary character. Jesus Christ. The new alicorn lead is so forgettable that I have to be reminded she exists.
Posted Report
IvanSatoru
Artist -

Angle-Considerer
@πʊßƛįϰ  
On second thought — Hitch should have Sunny. That way, he can have real foals so we could avoid the hideous dragon child thing and the retarded dragon dad idea entirely and also Sunny would stop being so useless. Edit: and also Hitch can go back to doing sheriff things normally and being a real father figure with real blood in the game.  

Just replace the dragon with a foal.
πʊßƛįϰ

was
Big F in the chat.

@Officer Hotpants  
Somehow better than the end of FiM, where they’d incessantly force Twilight to be the protagonist and then wonder why the new characters are so severely underdeveloped.

If there’s anything that could redeem G5, it’s if they give Misty a proper redemption arc and make her the real protagonist who actually learns about friendship. Give us Starlight’s redemption arc but done properly instead of “she’s good now.”
Posted Report
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide