G5 discussion thread

ANoobis
A toast - Incredibly based
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Book Horse - A user who has contributed to 5k+ metadata changes.
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Ghibelline Omnipotens
There were some interesting touches in the latest episode. I’m not sure how to read Izzy’s lack of technological know-how. It would make sense that Unicorns are behind the curve, given what we know of their lifestyle in Bridlewood, but that could just be Izzy being an idiot. Ponygram got named, so we have another social media platform canonized. Any bets on whether it’s Discord or Twitter next?

The Earth Ponies having actual magic is kind of crazy. That’s been fanon since the Ponibooru days, but it was never confirmed by the show. If they stick with it, that’s a setting changer.
TheBridge
Boot badge - It's Bootiful

I know NOTHING
Watched the special, 5/10. I don’t feel strong negative or positive emotion to it and can cut them a little slack if they were using it to train on/gear up for show production. Still, I can see why a lot of people hated it. Animation quality was extremely inconsistent and the plot felt pretty lackluster. Best character in there was Zipp and she did have some lines that made chuckle, plus her subplot was the closest I would call to engaging.

Back on animation, was it just me or was the quality between the mane cast different? Zipp to me often looked just fine, actually, fluid and smooth in a lot of cases, while Izzy seemed to be looking off a lot of the time and sometimes her moves seemed robotic and stiff.

@Fleur de Lis  
Glad you enjoyed it. So perhaps it does have a bit of a comfy factor. I can see a charm from a nostalgic PS2 sense. Graphical fidelity (though honestly, they did do a pretty good job with some of the smaller details) and complexity aren’t everything.
Fleur de Lis
Artist -

déanaim seitreach
@ANoobis  
Yes, but not by much. There are also stars to collect in the world which unlock costumes for Sunny. It only took me about 3 hours to get them all, and complete all Steam achievements, going at a casual pace.
Fleur de Lis
Artist -

déanaim seitreach
@TheBridge  
Watched the special. Other than that awkward scene where Hitch is sitting upright and the baby dragon design, I thought everything looked good visually, even if the animation is simpler than in the film. Zipp’s wings are really pretty. I wouldn’t say there was anything particularly engaging about the story. Kind of curious who that shadowy alicorn is.
TheBridge

I know NOTHING
@Fleur de Lis  
>Zipp’s wings are really pretty.  
It seemed like they put extra effort in Zipp. Some of her movements too seemed rather nice and she didn’t ever look off or have strange lighting from what I can recall.

>I thought everything looked good visually, even if the animation is simpler than in the film.  
I thought it was very mishmash. Not 100% bad but sometimes seemed robotic or a character moved a little odd and it seemed worse with some characters than others (not to mention some off lighting in a few places). Maybe if I am not tending to other things sometime I might just try to make a few webm posts to highlight what I mean (or be disproven!)

>Kind of curious who that shadowy alicorn is.  
The main speculations I have seen are Twilight. It is one of those things that I think is more likely to be a new character but I can’t rule it out as completely based on what I know of Nightmare forms and her line “taking back what is mine”. I sure hope it isn’t though as that might be something that makes a dark and dim view I have flirted with FiM’s final season arc ever closer to formal canon.
Anonymous #FA1C
@Fleur de Lis  
I’ve seen at least one person speculate the Shadowy Alicorn to be Flurry Heart. I could see that, she could pass for Nightmare-ified Flurry and if there was no talking the writing team out of making her a returning character, Flurry might work best since making her (temporarily) evil wouldn’t hurt previous characterization like it would if it turned out she was Twilight like some have suggested.

I hope she’s a new character myself.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
The latest episode was strange. Suddenly, it’s a character trait that Zipp is a detective? And she was worst pony this time around, giving Izzy a welcome break. Zipp lost her glasses and spent the episode making wild accusations of theft at the other main characters. Izzy turns out to be a Tony Stark-level inventor, capable of making a visor that rivals Batman’s detective vision as a tinkering project.

Maybe I just didn’t notice before, but Zipp seems to have a mild lisp in TYT. It really comes through with how chatty she is this time around. Her saying ‘sunglasses’ over and over really brings it out.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
This latest episode is a strange one. Izzy is back to being worst pony. At the start of the episode, she was disassembling other people’s things for parts without their permission. She wandered around town for a while, looking for a ring to steal. She made no bones about the fact that ownership and consent weren’t going to be a factor. At one point, she chased and tackled Posey for her earrings, only to reject them afterward for being plastic. The primary action was her in a dumpster, singing a song about trash picking. Without the music video, it would have been two minutes of Izzy rooting around in garbage in an alley, singing to herself like a crazy person.

The episode also made a dick joke that caught me off guard.
Dex Stewart
Artist -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
I haven’t liked any of the tyt things I’ve seen so far. I’ll give the cgi series a look when it comes out, but I’m still put off by the recasting.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
@Officer Hotpants  
They’re really canonizing that Twilight wrecked Equestria. Celestia ruled for over a thousand years. Twilight’s kingdom fell apart to this degree within twenty.
Officer Hotpants
Rabid Squirrel - Don't pet it.
Officer Shid pants - Hi, Im a lil shid.

Double-0 Negative
@ANoobis  
The Element of Magic, after repeatedly stopping several villains from stealing everyone’s magic, decided to steal everyone’s magic. For their own good, somehow. To prevent them from turning on each other, no less.

To put the retardation fully into perspective, that’s the equivalent of destroying all the oil on Earth because sometimes people experience road rage. And then, as civilization crumbles and billions die, assuring the survivors fighting over the last scraps of food & medicine that it was the right call because now no one will ever be flipped the bird by another driver again.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
@Officer Hotpants  
It kind of feels like what they’re saying is that Twilight’s time as an element has affected the Elements of Harmony and made them unstable. They never did this when Celestia and Luna or just Celestia were the wielders.
Anonymous #2158
I really, really, really hope the comic will have this story harshly struck down by the show, but I fear this story was one of the rare times the comic and show collaborated.

@Officer Hotpants  
In a very limp-wristed defense of this plot point, it seems less that Twilight outright stole all the ponies magic and more like she put a safe-guard in place in the form of the crystals so they can’t have magic if there isn’t harmony between the three tribes… that’s still a fucking stupid plot point.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
I fell off watching TYT weekly when I was out of town a while back.

14 - Alicorn Issues: Sunny turns into an alicorn after a dream consisting of flashbacks to earlier episodes. They know what an alicorn is, which strikes me as odd, since they don’t know their own history. Her friends try one-by-one to trigger her transformation, with incremental progress. She hides on the beach and gets a pep talk from Hitch, during which she says she feels like she’s spinning her wheels while everyone else advances past her. Kind of strange for an episode where she’s morphing into the living god class. She rescues some foals from a wave and turns into a full alicorn. This seems to be the first episode that treats Hitch as something more than a punching bag. He gets an actual moment with Sunny, and is more helpful than the others.

15 - Making a Foal of Me: Sunny, Izzy and Hitch are foals right at the start of the episode. Zipp interrogates Pipp and finds that she accidentally put magic glitter in the face cream. They whip up a counter formula. Pretty standard cartoon plot, and one of the better episodes overall. The writers still don’t know horse terminology. Pipp identifies her friends as “fillies” to Zipp, and when Hitch objects, she corrects it to “fillies and foals”. It brought me back to Celestia bizarrely marrying Shining and Cadance as “mare and colt” in season 2.

16 - Neighfever: Dahlia’s flower business is going down the tube since Earth Ponies gained magic and can grow their own flowers in an instant. Sunny reveals that she can turn into an alicorn at will when she goes to help. Sunny suggests she stop growing her flowers and just use magic to produce them, to which Dahlia says she can’t use magic. It turns out she just needed lessons. Dahlia goes overboard with her new magic and floods the town with giant flowers that spread pollen all over. It seems that pollen allergy is endemic to ponies in this show. For some reason, Dahlia’s snot causes her traditionally grown flowers to glow and change colors, so everyone forgets how peeved they are about the pollen and line up at her stand. The plot with the giant flowers just went away by itself during the last minute of the episode.

17 - Queens for a Day: Apparently, there’s a holiday called Mare’s Day in this gen. Pipp and especially Zipp get pissy when Queen Haven misses their firework surprise because she was behind in her work. They carry themselves more like kids who don’t understand why dad missed their birthday than adults. Haven tells them that she’s backed up and wants a break. Pipp and Zipp offer to take over her responsibilities for the rest of the day. The rest of the episode is Luna’s plot in A Royal Problem, where all five main characters prove unable to do Queen Haven’s job. Zephyr Heights is in for a rough time when she ages out.
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide