G5 discussion thread

Anonymous #DEAA
@Officer Hotpants  
Good point. I wonder if G5 is going to go into any of what happened with the falling out between the races and loss of magic. They probably will, just how in-depth it will go is a mystery.
Dex Stewart
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Artist -
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
I honestly don’t think they have any clever reason for how things turned out the way they did in the movie.  
My own personal theory is that ponies are just really stupid. I have plenty of evidence.
Officer Hotpants
Rabid Squirrel - Don't pet it.
A toast - Incredibly based
Officer Shid pants - Hi, Im a lil shid.

Double-0 Negative
@Dex Stewart  
That is true.

@ANoobis  
What I want to know is how far into the future we are that the immortal alicorns and their mountainside capitol have been completely forgotten. Or, for that matter, Twilight’s giant castle made of pure crystal in Ponyville. Or the crystal empire as a whole. Or Spike.

… man. Now that I’m thinking about it, there’s a LOT of hard questions that they’re going to have to answer for this setting to make sense.
ANoobis
Book Horse - A user who has contributed to 5k+ metadata changes.

Ghibelline Omnipotens
@Officer Hotpants  
I got the impression that they’ve been split up for a few hundred years. Not that that explains anything. We know more about pre-dynastic Egypt than they know about their own country.
TheBridge

I know NOTHING
@Officer Hotpants  
I was always leaning towards Dex position though with how much they played up connections to G4 in marketing (which can be deceptive, but saying phrases “SAME WORLD AS G4”, pretty unambiguous” means I would expect them to follow that bravado up with something…) and after seeing the movie I expect they may have some hints but it might not be satisfying.
πʊßƛįϰ

ponies are just really stupid  
See also: at least half of G4.

At least the G5 movie wasn’t blatant about the primary purpose of the idiocy being to force the plot to move to the next scene.
πʊßƛįϰ

May as well share a short summary of my thoughts on the movie. It seems I share these views with several users earlier in the thread:  
  1. It was way better than it had any right to be. Perhaps my positive opinion is entirely due to how abyssal my expectations were.  
  2. Animation makes for terrible stills but better motion than the 2017 movie. They are seriously cute ponies.  
  3. Being honest that the movie is for children and playing it safe with the plot paid off. The 2017 movie tried to be a Disney movie and failed. At least it was successful in pandering to bronies.  
  4. It was obvious that they structured the movie so that a Hasbro executive making a last-minute decision to sever the connection to FiM would require minimal changes to the movie. 90% of what I see mentioned as plot holes are obvious plots for episodes of the forthcoming series, not shortcomings of the movie itself.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
I’m hoping that they return to form with the show, and keep it about ponies. And leave it relatively pastoral. The last things I want to see are the return of the creature school, and Sunny’s charming lighthouse being replaced by a crystal castle. I’d also prefer not to see her become a giant alicorn god, while I’m at it.
πʊßƛįϰ

@ANoobis  
If they do introduce foreign species, they should stay foreign. As much as FiM neglected Zecora’s backstory, that was the one and only time they didn’t end up revealing yet another foreign society that was in Equestria’s backyard all along.  
Still, there should have been the rare background zebra (and kirin!) in crowd shots of Manehattan and Canterlot.

Crackpot G5 kirin introduction storyline idea: when the ponies split up, the kirin went back into isolation to avoid the fallout of pony political struggles. Ever since then, they send out explorers every decade or so to see if it’s safe to have contact with ponies again. Their policy is that they won’t reveal their village until ponies have reunified: even if the ponies the exploration party encounter are friendly, they can’t trust segregated ponies to remain peaceful.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
Do you think the alicorns are dead, or did they just let Equestria split? I’m more wondering about Celestia and Luna than Twilight or Cadance.
TheBridge

I know NOTHING
@ANoobis  
I would lean towards, if they go with anything, Twilight Sparkle possibly being alive or “ascended” in some state (as in, merged with the EoH or something) with the others just being gone vaguely.
Anonymous #5464
@ANoobis  
From what I know, Sombra coming back is coming from some info from the toys. I don’t think it’s been confirmed as legit or not yet.
πʊßƛįϰ

@ANoobis  
Perhaps the history covered during FiM’s era will be treated in G5 like how FiM treated the millennium when Celestia was the sole princess: more or less skip it without mention.

The timeline would be like:  
  1. Sombra had his rule  
  2. 1000+ years pass, enough for Luna to become evil, be exiled for a full millennium, and return.  
  3. Twilight and friends existed and defeated him (twice in a decade)  
  4. At some point, Twilight stops ruling and Equestria falls apart. The industrial revolution and its consequences happen and are a disaster for the equine race.  
  5. G5
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
If they’re bringing back Sombra, there may be a chance that Cozy, Tirek and Chrysalis get unpetrified.
Officer Hotpants
Rabid Squirrel - Don't pet it.
Officer Shid pants - Hi, Im a lil shid.

Double-0 Negative
@Cyborg_pony  
Makes sense. Though without magic, they’d be kind of fucked. Tirek is a small, decrepit old centaur without it and Chrysalis is just a bug horse. The one who gets off the lightest is Cozy.

@Dex Stewart  
Through the magic of “half our fans want to fuck her and we can’t bank on that with her cast in stone”.
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide