G5 discussion thread

Fleur de Lis
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Artist -
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

déanaim seitreach
I’ve seen it. It’s good, but a little bit cringy.

The character models don’t really make for great screencaps and short loops like FIM ones do, but they usually look very good in full-length animated scenes. Overall, the production slightly exceeds my moderately high expectations.

Where I expected serious problems was in the writing. Even that is much less bad than I expected, but it is definitely the film’s weakest aspect.

The characters are all good, but far from mane6-tier. Izzy is my favourite.
albert100

This film is the most 5 to 6 out of 10 movie for me. The animation, designs, and voice acting were great. The music was a hit and miss. The characters were fine but archetypes we have seen before. The comedy felt too forced. The writing was not good at all. It was very bland, predictable, and safe. Overall it met my expectations as a run of the mill kids movie that doesn’t exceeds from anything besides the animation.
Sapphie
Rampant Bear - A courageous companion
Autist -
Lil Importer Shid - Hi, Im a lil shid.

Senior Moderator
Unavailable
@Fleur de Lis  
Hmm, interesting, I have the exact opposite opinion. I think the animation looks absolutely amazing. It makes sense it’s not as cool in stills, since it’s not made to look good in stills. It’s a trade-off with 3d, you get to do a lot more by drawing less stills  
I liked the writing infinitely more than the G4 pilot, which honestly makes me cringe quite a bit when I rewatch it.

@albert100  
You say that as if g4 did any better. I don’t really disagree, don’t get me wrong. The movie was nothing innovative or anything, but neither was g4, really. Still quite enjoyable imho
Cyborg_pony

@Humble Oriathan
These mainstream media types think they’re like the protagonists but the reality is that they have much more in common with Canterlogic.

A lot of them have been fear mongering and being exactly that for the last decade or so. It’s while the “villain” is such a put off since they just see it as their witch that they can set on fire. The irony being a lot of them said that characters that tried to destroy world should have gotten a happy ending while the other is irredeemable for something no one has any clue on how everyone became divided.
Dex Stewart
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Artist -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
full  
Lol old joke.

Anyway, good flick. I’m looking forward to the series. Not the best movie, but it avoided a lot of tropes I’m sick of in kids movies. Sprout and his mom actually remind me more of the Once-ler and his mom from the cgi Lorax. This was definitely better than that.
albert100

@Sapphie The thing is, I agree with you that this film is on par with G4. G4 was to me at best was a comfort show with simple but fun main characters, great voice acting, good side characters, very good music, pretty good animation, somewhat decent world building, mixed morals/humor, and very inconsistent writing. Overall, the show was far better then it had any rights to be.
Fleur de Lis
Artist -

déanaim seitreach
@Fleur de Lis
Hmm, interesting, I have the exact opposite opinion. … I liked the writing infinitely more than the G4 pilot, which honestly makes me cringe quite a bit when I rewatch it.
I don’t understand what you mean by “exact opposite opinion”.

I absolutely love Friendship is Magic Part 1. It is a near flawless introduction for the show. But Friendship is Magic Part 2 suffers because most of the “trials” simply do not make sense. I still very much enjoy it as something to laugh at though.
Wingnut

Disregard G5, acquire snowponies.

Anyway. I wonder if I’ll ever watch this. I mean I never even watched G4 past the second season. Maybe I should get on that someday.
Fleur de Lis
Artist -

déanaim seitreach
@Wingnut  
I mean I never even watched G4 past the second season. Maybe I should get on that someday.

It’s absolutely not worth it. And there is no going back.  
At least with G5 it’s easier to separate them in one’s mind.
IvanSatoru
Artist -

Angle-Considerer
@Wingnut  
Watch “The Perfect Pair”, “Sleepless in Ponyville”, maybe “Slice of Life” if only for its meme value. Avoid anything that has Yona in it like the plague, and don’t even think about the last episode.
ANoobis
A toast - Incredibly based
Book Horse - A user who has contributed to 5k+ metadata changes.

Ghibelline Omnipotens
@Dex Stewart  
I didn’t like him either, but the show created him to be a hate sink. I didn’t like most of the student 6 very much. Silverstream was at least fun, but I just didn’t like the school or the black hole effect it had on the setting.
Dex Stewart
Artist -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@ANoobis  
I didn’t mind the student six. I just thought it was weird to introduce so many new regulars at once, but by that time I was used to being introduced to several new characters suddenly who may or may not become recurring.
Wingnut

How bad is the… what would the word be? Characterization? Writing?

From what I saw in the trailer, Izzy’s trying too hard to be lolrandom Pinkie Pie, oblivious to the point of stupidity. In the beginning of the trailer, all the earth ponies are screaming in terror and running away, and she’s acting like she doesn’t get it. But later on in the trailer, when they’re looking for the Pegasi, she says “But the pegasi are trouble!” All of a sudden, she’s aware of the tribal tensions. Somehow.

I hate conflicting parts like that.

Any big plot holes in the movie?
Fleur de Lis
Artist -

déanaim seitreach
@Wingnut  
If you’re particularly sensitive to that kind of discrepancy, you would certainly notice a ton of plot holes. But, I don’t think it would have been worth filling them. And frequent leaps from logic are less bothersome to me than something that would be both coherent and lazy, like the late FIM map table. If there had been a longer run time, I think it would have been better used for more characterisation of Zipp and Pipp who received little and to a lesser extent Sunny who we really only see from the one side. Izzy and Hitch were by this film introduced well, I thought.
Anonymous #3289
Just finished watching it, I might need more time to collect my thoughts. Initial impressions are that it’s not bad, certainly passable for a kids film. Music was okay, the animation was a lot better than all the ultra jittery stuff I’d been seeing in the trailers, I don’t know if any of the Mane Five endeared themselves to me much, but they didn’t grate on me either.

The big problem here is that it’s attached to G4’s timeline, and I’m much more interested in what’s happened to Twilight and Equestria than the main character’s dilemma. It’s probably good that they didn’t make that the focus of the movie, but in the end it’s what I’m far more curious about.

Finally, holy smokes, I’d been avoiding this movie because the trailers all made it looks so cringe… I think they shoved nearly every cringe moment the movie has in the damn trailers, the rest of the movie seemed a lot more tolerable. To anyone else who’s been avoiding this because of those, I think that actually might be the worst the movie gets and it’s all up hill from there. Seriously, was that really what the studio and Hasbro thought would sell the film, or was that deliberately done to try and scare away the bronies from G5?
TeaTimeTimmy

So, I’ve seen it. And I am honestly surprised that it has NOT turned out horrifyingly terrible. Not good, and for me it was worse than the G4 Movie, but still not on the levels of bad I expected it to be.

Spoilers ahoy!

Positives are: nice animation, at least most of the time; good character designs; main characters themselves are pretty nice; Zipp was actually chill and cool, despite everything about her screaming sTrOnG wHaMeN character; there is ALMOST no woke moments; there is no M6 after the beginning scene; Sunny is not an insufferable activist, and her logic and reason are quite organically introduced.

Cons: Plot. It was mediocre. Not terrible, a simple quest for the artifacts trope, but I feel like some parts of the plot could be cut out without any impact on the story (more on that below). The most idiotic part was the fact that the characters never had even a slightest thought that their scheme will not work without the Earth Pony crystal. 3 pony kinds, but only 2 magical bullshit crystals? Well, color me shocked when nothing worked! Yes, I know, “it’s not the crystals…” but still, it was dumb to not even think of the third one, as well as the fact that the crystals have given the magic back in the end.

World-building: I really felt like this whole G4 connection makes many of the elements and choices of the story make zero sense. Like the magical bullshit crystals that are the source of the magic for some reason. They were never mentioned in the G4, why they are here? Speaking of the things never mentioned, where are the other species? I have not expected them to be here, but still, they are not even mentioned once! Why? To me, the best way should about this would’ve been that the whole G4 was just a bed-time story, but there are too many connections that ruin this theory completely.

Creatures: I know that this is likely a nitpick, but seriously, all non-pony creatures shown are the following: crab, bird, round bunny, flying dog, flying rat, and that opossum-like thing with a shell. I liked the G4 mainly because of this weird (in a good way) world filled with mythical creatures and talking pones. These look like a generic cute marketable critters, like something Illumination would do. I don’t hate them, but I find it quite disappointing. I know that the main critters in the G4 were animals from the real world, but even in the first two episodes we have seen a Manticore and that Serpent guy.

Sprout: this is the part of the plot that really should’ve been cut, and no one would care. The main storyline has not needed a villain, and it really shows. The character is horrible, his ark was terrible, he was “defeated” by the stupidest way possible, and he has never suffered any consequences for his actions. He has not even apologized for destroying the lighthouse! He is not menacing, he is not charismatic, he is not relatable. And his theme… I have a burning desire to shove the one responsible for his song into a Femur Breaker and activate it.

Speaking of songs. The starting song is fine, too pop-y for me, but passible. The duo song was okay, Fit Right In was IMO the most MLP-like song out of them all, and I liked it, even despite the rap part, I hate Sprout’s song with passion, I can’t remember Pip’s song, and I think that’s all. They are okay overall.

Pop culture references and technology: Honestly, I am starting to feel sick every time I see modern technology and pop culture in a fantasy setting. In my opinion it is lazy as hell. Pegasus town suffers the most with their overuse of smartphones, giant screens, and the whole theme of a current day town with bloggers and stuff. I think the most organic modern pony town is Mareton Bay (idk how it is pronounced correctly), and the Unicorn town was the most MLP-ish town out of them all (I really liked that mechanical Just Dance machine). If I had to choose, I would set the tech to Mareton Bay level max.

Oh, and also, Sunny becomes Alicorn it the end. Not physical (magical horn/wings), but still. Technically, this situation is very similar to Twilight’s, but it really felt off because Twilight was given this power by Celestia, while in this case it comes from the magical bullshit stones.

Overall, I would give it a 6-6.5/10. It was not offensive to the G4 (if you do not think about the implications too much), it was not a woke garbage, it was not an unwatchable mess. But IMO it could’ve been much better, should they just cut the G4 connection. Most of the time watching I was asking myself questions about continuity with the G4, and because of that to me it felt like it was a movie written by the people who just read some FIM wiki pages and said “It will be fine”.
Fleur de Lis
Artist -

déanaim seitreach
Sunny becomes Alicorn it the end. Not physical (magical horn/wings), but still. Technically, this situation is very similar to Twilight’s, but it really felt off because Twilight was given this power by Celestia, while in this case it comes from the magical bullshit stones.
Was it given by Celestia? I mean the magic looks to be coming from Twilight herself in that scene from Magical Mystery Cure.
Cyborg_pony

The movie really does feel disjointed.

Like the Villain everyone is talking about comes from her mother, and still what really shows the fans of this, is a lot of them write him off as irredeemable. There’s no real reason given for why there’s no magic and everyone divided and they should have explained it other then “Yeah, it happened. Now our characters will save the day”

I don’t understand why they put this into the same universe as FiM other then trying to keep that momentum. There’s really no semblance other then a brief cameo and some pins with three of the mane six’s cutie marks. I honestly don’t see this having lasting appeal, and all those “Take that G4 purists!” just seem to be acting that way to fit into the new zeitgeist to me.
enig

bich ass shitt
“The show will fix it” isn’t an excuse for how ignorant and tacked on the G4 parts were. If anything, connecting it to G4 brings it down since it just feels more like the JJ Abrams era of Star Wars than its own new thing. Also, expecting a show that will land anywhere from late 2022 to early 2023 to fill the gaps is a dangerous precedent since now you have over a year of fandom noodling building up and when you look at how G4 decisions steamrolled fandom ideas on a regular basis and the following steady decline in content activity as a result, having a whole year’s worth of buildup is insane. People are too damned high on hopium to realize there’s a lot of pillars of salt amidst the marble ones holding the land up.
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide