Thumbnails?

Site and Policy » Thumbnails? Search Posts
Daneasaur
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

I seem to be having a bout of “Thumbnail not yet generated” for the entire front page of the site. The featured image and 4 picked images show up but my watch list and such don’t show anything. This a hiccup on my end or he site?
marredpink
Artist -

Site is getting hammered by uploads right now, server can’t keep up with generating the thumbnails to that many images at once.

I have it set so I have 50 images per page, and the first 20 pages are uploads within the past hour.
Cloppy Hooves
Artist -

I worry about how this issue is going to affect the site. One of the important things about an art booru is actually being able to view art. Having the site flooded with “thumbnail not yet generated” kind of impedes that. I’m willing to sit and wait as long as it takes for the site to get all of the upgrades it needs and for the mass uploads to slow down, but I know some people out there aren’t as patient or understanding and might just dismiss this as “shit site” and leave.
Husdur
Artist -

As a suggestions to mods - maybe you should exclude such an images from displaying in lists.  
On the main page and “trending” for sure, but I’d excluded them from “browsed” and “search” too.

I mean what’s the point of the list if it’s just “Thumbnails not yet generated” all over?

I think if you place notification above upload form, about why their image is not showing right away, users will understand.
ANoobis
A toast - Incredibly based
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Book Horse - A user who has contributed to 5k+ metadata changes.
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.

Ghibelline Omnipotens
The new uploads are coming in fine, but a lot of the images that hadn’t generated thumbs still seem to be processing. Will that catch up soon?
Anonymous #F317
This issue is being worked on along with a bunch else.

One of the top priorities right now I believe is getting the server on the new and much more powerful hardware to get rid of this issue entirely, until then however, some of the previously unprocessed images may remain that way. This will be fixed as time permits however.

You are able to use processed:true in searches as is mentioned in the site announcement now however to only view said images.  
(Just tacking this on in case anyone else happens to miss the announcement and sees this!)

-Ponybooru Staff
ArchiveAnon
Rampant Squirrel - A ferocious friend
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Donor | Gabby - Best Birbcat, don't @ me
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained (unintended savior)

Senior Moderator
Everything Stays
@UrbanMysticDee  
There will be a bulk update on all images that have failed to process when possible. This will take some time of course to get going, but it will happen when time and resources permit!
ArchiveAnon
Rampant Squirrel - A ferocious friend
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Donor | Gabby - Best Birbcat, don't @ me
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained (unintended savior)

Senior Moderator
Everything Stays
@Daneasaur  
It not only will, it appears a bunch of the images that were deadlocked have already been processed! This is being done in a bit of a roundabout way at the moment but once the site transfers over to the new hardware things like this will be able to be handled much more efficiently I imagine.

All original files are still present, even if the processed images are not available to users, so rest assured they will get fixed.
CurtainedWizard
Rampant Alicorn - The majestic steed of a blessed crusade (Princeps Seraphim)
Rampant Squirrel - A ferocious friend, here to bear witness to the apocalypse
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained (As the last toll rings)

Devops
The Eponym
I have begun an rsync of the originals my local machine. I will manually process the thumbnails on the machine this service should be on to begin with. This premature launch has eaten up so much time resolving the issue holding up deployment of the new metal into the datacenter has had little progress

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Resolved.