Ponybooru Moderation Feedback

Azure Fang
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Oh no, he's here?
@Napsack  
Thank you to the team for taking this all under consideration. That given, I’ll weigh in on the rest of the DNP types. Please, take or ignore this as is fitting. Remember, all here is simply one person’s opinion.

Upload Credit Change: I’ve never agreed with this though I’ve kept quiet as it’s more a point of vanity than anything and thus not worth arguing over. It’s vain for an artist to think they should preempt the actual uploader of an image when their name is already in the tags and possibly in any watermark/signature that they should damn well be applying to their art. Should not exist.

Artist Upload/With Permission Only: There is no good, round option here. Stop allowing artists to use this as a blanket DNP. Give artists a proper Do Not Post; if they don’t want to post here, give them that actual capability rather than letting them hide behind the lie they do now. If not, your current answer is to just take after an arbitrary expiry; I understand you want to protect this site’s userbase, but you granted that control to the artist and should honor it. If you want to prevent abuse, add a No Post level of DNP. If you have an artist verifibly posting elsewhere when they have an Artist Only here, reach out to said artist to update their DNP; if they don’t, convert them to a full No Post and grandfather all (if any) existing content. Once converted, list the conversion date in the DNP so that any content after that date may be verified as a violation, but if an artist comes back and wants back in or wants to rescind the DNP all together, let them.

Limited Edits: Fair. No source contention since permission is already given, however following below may be considered.

Separate Edits: Also fair, as long as the separate artist tag still includes the name of the original artist. The “<artist name> Edit” tag convention is perfect, though sourcing could be contentious. Description should require source of original, while source field may then be used for the editor.

Content Delay: Reasonable with caveat. PWYW (pay what you want) content with a minimum of $0 should be considered under the “free” clause, while PWYW with a minimum price should be considered paid content, and they should be delineated as such.

Artist Tag Change: I can respect artist anonymity. I can’t respect “random”. These should be lumped under “artist: Anonymous Artist”, period.

Hidden By Default: Respect with caveat. Rather than requiring login, this should just be part of the default filters. This allows non-logged users to grab a public custom to bypass. When any user utilizes a custom filter that does not include whatever HBD tag is present, a warning should appear alerting said user that they forfeit the right to complain about unfiltered content as they have made a conscious effort to remove said filters; onus on the user.

NOTABLE EDIT:  
It’s worth mentioning that there are extant DNPs with “comment lock” descriptions. If comment lock is being abolished, assess these. Contact the affected artists; if they want their content removed going forward, so be it. But don’t leave the existing locks in place as this feels like what may have initiated this entire episode.
Azure Fang

Oh no, he's here?
@Exhumed Legume  
How would that be insane? If the artist wants to be anonymous, be anonymous. Right now, we have active “php” accounts that can be tracked back to their original identities by backtracking comments prior to namechange. That’s not anonymous. Rolling the tags into one ensures anonymity; if the artist cares to comment about their work, they don’t really want to be anonymous.
Azure Fang

Oh no, he's here?
Artist Tag Change: This DNP type instructs Ponybooru to change any art with your artist tag to have a different artist tag, chosen at random for privacy.

By assigning a single psudo-random tag, then using that single tag for every piece of that artist’s work, you’re identifying the artist or facilitating their identification. And I consider privacy, in this context, to be synonymous with anonymity; if that’s conflation, sue me. But if an artist doesn’t want to be directly associated with their work, they’re desiring anonymity and having a now unique tag associated with an account that can be backtracked is neither anonymous nor private. This is all a moot point, however, when we’ve got twibooru merging everything and publicly outing every “private” tag with their clearname artist.
TheBridge
Boot badge - It's Bootiful

I know NOTHING
@Azure Fang  
Part of me thinks that it is something that wouldn’t really help much over the current system, like:  
>Right now, we have active “php” accounts that can be tracked back to their original identities by backtracking comments prior to namechange.  
Comments the php made or comments on the image? In either case, unless you remove the comments themselevs or edit them in some way (which honestly maybe something to look into but also gives me a bit of the creeps in a memory holing kind of sense) then the comments will still exists, just be somewhat harder to track. Obscurity is not anonymity. Now on the other hand, when faced in this crazy world of cancel culture and people hunting somebody down, I can understand wanting that little extra layer. Not to mention the power of personal choice (say, the artists who choose to have their art labbled anon on the 4chan draw threads despite already having know profiles).

@Barhandar  
>Automatic moderation has proven itself to be an unbelievably terrible idea hundreds of times over  
Agreed, though I don’t think a limited functionality done right would be this. What would this site be without filters? A variance exists sensitives and personal tolerances exists and what may or may not be unacceptable to one person would be so to the other, right? I think a lot of the same applies to user interactions. I think right now this site is like a small town and may never even reach a scale where a soft blocking system would ever be considered possibly useful, especially if like you say, userscripts already exists (albeit despite their relative ease might be a barrier in a similar sense to how an alternate root DNS is to widespread adoption).
Barhandar
Artist -
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained (Cheeky Breeky)

Upload Credit Change: I’ve never agreed with this though I’ve kept quiet as it’s more a point of vanity than anything and thus not worth arguing over. It’s vain for an artist to think they should preempt the actual uploader of an image when their name is already in the tags and possibly in any watermark/signature that they should damn well be applying to their art. Should not exist.
Historical reminder that it existed earlier than the art linking in profile. Also, the uploader shows up earlier on the page than the tags, in fact, before the image. yes there have been moron users who conflated uploader with artist  
Stop allowing artists to use this as a blanket DNP. Give artists a proper Do Not Post;
This.  
though sourcing could be contentious. Description should require source of original, while source field may then be used for the editor.
Better idea: find byte[] and force him to implement ponibooru and BoR parity instead of shit autistic new additions. Ponibooru parity includes multiple sources for one image.  
Content Delay: Reasonable with caveat.
It’s only reasonable if you don’t consider having to track it all. Again, it would be slightly more reasonable if it had code support (i.e. upload the image to prevent dupes and set a timer on it before it becomes accessible to non-staff).  
Artist Tag Change: I can respect artist anonymity. I can’t respect “random”. These should be lumped under “artist: Anonymous Artist”, period.
THE FUCKING TAG FOR INCOGNITOS IS “ANONYMOUS ARTIST” AND I WILL FUCKING STRANGLE THE MORON WHO USED THAT PHRASING SINCE IT MAKES PEOPLE CONFLATE IT WITH “SOURCE HAS NO USERNAMES” TAG  
Either way, “lumped under” is incredibly stupid and prevents distinguishing by artist as well as recovery (unless separate database of actual tag is maintained). Yes, multiple php artists have went back on it in history of derpi. bonus: at least one actually used the “lol pseudorandom” option  
@Azure Fang  
The point of a booru trumps the wishes of the artist in this case. If they previously confirmed they’re the artist of an image, they don’t get to un-confirm it and so it should be a php so that the sum of their artworks can be maintained, even if the association with their real name is removed (see artist:34657830 aka essentially the first php, and yes, he went from full takedown, to proto-php, to restoring the tag). Also see above about reversion.  
@Exhumed Legume  
Also this, changing artist’s tag to anon shits allll upon people’s filters and is even more antagonistic to the point of a booru.

@Azure Fang  
Right now, we have active “php” accounts that can be tracked back to their original identities by backtracking comments prior to namechange. That’s not anonymous.
You’re conflating tag and username. They are not the same. Also, pretty sure Php111 is making a joke and it’s his actual alternate username and tag, considering it’s also the username on pillowfort.  
PHP tags remove (or should remove) all visible-to-users metadata, including the profile link and aliases; usernames are not changed by a php (but can be changed by request) and making new accounts is free anyway.  
P.S. Their point is not “HURR DURR ERASE ALL TRACES”, their point is to remove associations so that these images don’t show up if you search for the artist’s name, whether on the booru or via search engines; hence, “people HIDING ponies”. And yes, even twibooru is willing to do a full php if you ask politely (instead of sperging the fuck out like the idiots who tried to DMCA it).

@TheBridge  
What would this site be without filters?
Filters don’t let you take images down or report them, they’re not even automation since you have to pick/modify them yourself. And the extent of automation that is reasonable is already present, it’s the duplication detection, and you know how fucking badly it works if the image doesn’t have identical hash.

tl;dr: literally revert entirety of DNP rule changes lmao then append timeout dnp and real no-post dnp to it
php111
U Lil Shid - Hi, Im a lil shid.
Artist -

"A R C H I V E S I T E"
Also, pretty sure Php111 is making a joke and it’s his actual alternate username and tag, considering it’s also the username on pillowfort.
That is mostly correct, when I requested an artist tag on Derpibooru as part of the anti censorship protest I was given several options for anonymous tags, I opted for a php tag, and changed my username to the php tag I was issued,check ’em the Pillowfort account came later

Interesting fact for everyone else, php tags predate Derpibooru, as far as I can tell the first few where used on Ponibooru (no, not Ponybooru) and they have been used by other active artists over the years, not just me

The point of a booru trumps the wishes of the artist in this case. If they previously confirmed they’re the artist of an image, they don’t get to un-confirm it

As far as i know Derpi staff will re-tag your art as “Anonymous Artist” if you specifically request it, at least for individual images, though I’m not sure about an artist tag as a whole, especially one with hundreds of images under it. Whether or not Ponybooru will do this I dont know, I assume nobody has tried it yet since I dont think it’s something artists generally ask for

Since there seems to be some confusion in regards to what has actually changed, I’m going to go over the dnp policy changes point by point and compare them to the old policy (you can find it at the bottom of this post)  
Patreon and other paid exclusives: Content that cannot be obtained for free must not be uploaded within 2 years except by the artist themselves. Content that has been released for more than 2 years may be uploaded provided that; The description contains a link to a content creator’s Patreon, Subscribe Star or other paid platform where the art may be purchased; If unavailable a link back to a donation method for the artist.

Paid content now has an arbitrary time limit set, and removes the artist’s choice of whether or not to post this content regardless of any dnp listings the artist may have

Upload Credit Change: This DNP type specifies that all content with your artist tag have the uploader set as yourself.

Exactly the same as the old one, it’s just been reformatted a bit

Artists Upload Only / With Permission Only: This DNP gives an artist 31 days to upload any art that is otherwise available on any public platform by themselves. An artist may lose their DNP listing if they do not upload within 31 days of the art being available elsewhere.

These are now identical to the Delayed Upload Only/Content Delay dnp of the new policy, and there is effectively no longer an option to request a full dnp

Limited Edits: This DNP limits edits to things likely to fall under Fair Use (Parody, Transformative, Sufficiently different from original.) This does not apply if edits are on other freely available platforms.

Effectively unchanged, as @Barhandar Pointed out any edits posted here will immediately be grabbed by the real archives rendering the clause at the end irrelevant

Separate Edits: This DNP type specifies that all edits of your art will be placed under a separate artist tag / edit tags.

Reworded, basically the same

Content Delay: This gives artists and creators a way to specify a delay in which their art or content may be uploaded. Up to 4 weeks for freely available art on public platforms, up to 3 years for art available on paid platforms.

Now has an arbitrary time limit, the old listing defaults to 6 months but implies an option to set it to whatever the artist wants, whether that be longer or shorter

User Interaction Lock: This disables comments on Ponybooru on pieces exclusively with your artist tag.

Reworded, basically the same (I’m surprised so many users are upset about the idea behind it, considering it’s been an option almost since the beginning)(And no, to my knowlege it does not affect votes, faves or metadata, only comments)

Artist Tag Change: This DNP type instructs Ponybooru to change any art with your artist tag to have a different artist tag, chosen at random for privacy.

Artist tag is now chosen at random instead of giving the artist the choice? Why? this extends beyond dnps you dont have to file a dnp to change your artist tag or get your art anonymized

Hidden by Default: This DNP type will make pieces with exclusively with your artist tag hidden from the homepage, only available for search by logging in.

Reformatted, offers less information, but assuming Zizzy hasn’t changed how the system works it is in practical terms exactly the same as the old one

Other: This DNP type has limited use for special circumstances not covered above. Please do not make requests using this type as they have no effect on the site and are closed by default.

Effectively removed, the old one basically lets artists request whatever they want here (within reason, of course), this only serves as a complimentary thing for other dnp types now, and is thereby completely pointless since there is a “staff instructions” field when filling a dnp which serves the exact same purpose

Finally the Video/Image hold options where removed

If I missed something, then I’m sorry? feel free to add it

TL;DR  
There is effectively no longer an option to request a full dnp, and even the limited dnps are now far more restrictive than they have been at any point in the past. Yes, that includes that one time Zizzy went full retard

@Napsack  
I will now go over my interpretation of the idea behind, and effects of DNP Policy as it was used on Derpibooru over the years (shady practices regarding OC tags aside)  
The “Artist Upload Only” type or “full dnp” exists to place the ownership of the art with the artist, it says “we recognize that this is your art, and you may do with it as you please” It achieves this effect regardless of whether or not an artist actually chooses to file a dnp, the bottom line is the artist has the option, and thereby retains control of their art, this in turn helps to build goodwill between artists and the site.

All forms of “limited dnps” exist to offer/encourage an artist to consider an alternative to deleting everything if they are displeased with the site, it says “we get that you’re not happy with things as they are now, but maybe we can find a compromise that we are both happy with” the “Other” dnp type being particularly important as this lets an artist set their own conditions, all the other types of “limited dnps” are mostly a suggestion/example to give a better idea of what is possible, and to cover the more frequently requested conditions, of course they only achieve this in the context of the artist having the option of a full DNP, remove that option and it reads “want control of your art? to bad, go fuck yourself” it’s no longer a compromise, it’s strong arming artists to agree to your conditions, and at that point they hardly qualify as dnps at all, and like others have said it’s honestly kinda insulting

This is likely why Derpibooru choose to use this system many years ago, and I presume why Luzion choose to stick with it when weighing the options, the end goal is to bring in artists who will interact with your site and provide content for it, and to that end I would say it has succeeded both here and on DB, as opposed to the Archive-Boorus who’s goal is to just bring in as much art as possible by any means necessary

I can only speak for myself, but I choose to come here because this place was touted as an alternative to Derpibooru, not because it was an archive, If I wanted an archive i would have gone to Ponerpics instead.  
So I will ask you again, what exactly is the goal of this site? your FAQ section and your past history implies that your goal is to serve as a replacement for Derpibooru, but this sudden and drastic change to the DNP policy stands in direct opposition to that idea, and I genuinely think this will only hurt the site in the long run regardless of what your aim is here

God, I hate writing walls of text  
Anyways, Thanks for coming to my TED Talk

Content that cannot be obtained for free must not be uploaded except by the artist themselves. While it’s encouraged that artists upload their older paid content we understand that not everyone wants to.
Ponybooru DNP policies.
Artist Upload Only & Permission Upload Only: If you have this type of DNP assigned , you or the permissioned uploaders can upload to Ponybooru
Delayed Upload Only & Permission Upload Only: This is the same as the normal one but allows users to upload your art after a default of 6 months.
Limited Edits: Edits will be restricted to content likely to fall under Fair Use (Parody, Transformative, Sufficiently different from original.)
Separate Edits: Edits uploaded are to be tagged with an artist:name edits tag.
Video / Image hold: We understand creators make money off of their creations. Under these DNP policies Videos and Images will have a timed delay period to allow for revenue to be generated on other platforms.
Artist Tag Change: All art uploaded will be changed to an artist tag of your choosing. Default of artist:Anonymous
Hidden by Default: All art under your artist tag will be tagged in a way that makes it so only logged in users can view, by changing their filters.
User Interaction Lock: All user interactions except voting will be disabled on art under your artist tag.
Uploader Credit Change: All art under your tag for existing and future uploads will be credited under your name.
Other: A combination of the above options. Or a special case / exemption.
TrukkinDuck

Nopan is best pants
@Azure Fang  
Php is already anonymous. Only that archive booru doesn’t honor that. It’s more of trust that we no longer bother them even knowing their past identity than disrespecting their moving on phase. I would also rather search someone’s style than go through every anonymous artist for that one or two pics.
TrukkinDuck

Nopan is best pants
It’s only reasonable if you don’t consider having to track it all. Again, it would be slightly more reasonable if it had code support (i.e. upload the image to prevent dupes and set a timer on it before it becomes accessible to non-staff).

That’s somewhat a great idea.
Officer Hotpants
Rabid Squirrel - Don't pet it.
A toast - Incredibly based
Officer Shid pants - Hi, Im a lil shid.
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.

Double-0 Negative
Report:
Forum post in Derpi PTSD Thread
Reason:
Rule #7: More of that spammer.
Action taken:
Deleted.
Original Text:
||
Escapistic monarchic Racist pedophile admin. Idiotic teenager. Agent of crown. Incel. Take your pills. Derogatory bastard. Son of whore. Halfbreed. Stinker.
||

It was fine right up until the very end. There’s just no call for that kind of language.
Azure Fang

Oh no, he's here?
@TrukkinDuck  
Inkbunny was originally concieved as a haven for cubfurs in the wake of FA’s cub ban. I remember the preliminary founding discussions back on lulz.net; it was originally supposed to be no human, but that slowly eroded at about the same pace as human staff contact. Now the site’s the barely curated hugbox we know today, where a pixel of censorship is enough to bypass the no human rule, constructive criticism is tantamount to hate and triggers ostricizaton, and tagging standards may be ignored by artists and locked at their discretion because you absolutely need to see their latest work that would be filtered anywhere else.
Athena

The duplicate merge on >>3020083 (merged) doesn’t seem right; the old version is more stylised, has less rounded edges overall, the hair at the back is tucked in more and the character looks slimmer in general. I prefer the source image a lot more even though the changes seem minor.

Source: https://ponerpics.org/images/2670239 (safe)  
Target: https://ponerpics.org/images/6342928 (safe)

(I’d use Twibooru links but it’s down at the moment)

Is the duplicate system intended to be used to replace old images with noticeably revised versions, or was this treated as a takedown request due to being reported by the artist?
Napsack
Rampant Stag - A swift sidekick
Rampant Squirrel - A ferocious friend
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Donor | Pinkie Pie - Pie family best family
Liberty Belle -

Senior Moderator
Glare Mare
@twiByte  
The artist themselves asked for it to be merged. In this case it’s essentially treated like an artist takedown request, I suppose.
Anonymous #B8DB
Image: 376419
Report: Other: Broken, never processed
Action Taken: Webm refused to fix itself under any and all circumstances, including attempts to reupload it. As such, webm has been deleted. Why the good ones have to go I just don’t know. Alternate source to this webm is here, although it can likely be found on most altboorus as well.

Out of curiosity, do you believe converting it to a different filetype and reuploading would work, or would it not be worth however much effort? As a fresh upload, I mean.
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide