Video game thread

Azure Fang
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Oh no, he's here?
@ANoobis  
To add, the contention over video games entering the NFT market is future. What happens to your Limited Edition M4A1 skin NFT when Ghost Recon Breakpoint goes tits up? With digital art such as ANoobis’s example, you can continue producing copies as long as a copy remains (which is no different than a non-NFT, another point of contention on the general premise), but if the game that loads the NFT-linked skin no longer exists, all you “own” is a blockchain token that means literally nothing, the record of a now non-existant asset, which is no different than when a market-enabled Steam game goes down and all associated inventories are purged.

And, as a note on NFTs in general, thus far there are no laws backing their existence in the global economy (correct me if I’ve missed a country enacting support). They’re extralegal commerce, all threat and no safety. You bought an ugly monkey NFT and the seller is still making copies? Too bad, unless the country you live in amends their copyright laws to recognize NFT infringement, and technically the original owner still owns it under international copyright law. Ubisoft decides to swap to a different blockchain and you can’t utilize your purchased NFTs anymore and their “value” tanks? K, sorry not sorry, buy more NFTs and roll the dice again.
user7853

been playing a lot of pathfinder kingmaker the past several days  
i never knew that managing a medieval fantasy kingdom would be so. fucking. annoying. its one kingdom-threating problem after the fucking other
Officer Hotpants
Rabid Squirrel - Don't pet it.
A toast - Incredibly based
Officer Shid pants - Hi, Im a lil shid.
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.

Double-0 Negative
@TeamBlueplant  
It wouldn’t be so bad if they didn’t time events in such a way that they’ll almost unfailingly pop right as you’re on the border about to push out and explore. Also I almost started that game up last night. I’ve been playing Pillars and it reminded me that I never actually finished Kingmaker. I believe I had just taken part in that royal hunt when I checked out.

@FeatherTrap  
GOD DAMN IT. YOU’RE RIGHT.
user7853

@FeatherTrap  
ironically, since settlements become quality of life improvements in survival, i actualy wanted preston to give me new settlement locations

@Officer Hotpants  
i played pillars for like.. 10 hours and kind of forgot about it, should pick it up again, im just annoyed that having a ranger’s animal companion fall in battle debuffs the ranger himself

as for pathfinder, im past that point doing world-ending situation after world ending situation and then fucking darven appears
Officer Hotpants

Double-0 Negative
i actualy wanted preston to give me new settlement locations

What kind of fucking alien are you?

It makes sense. Mystical bonds aside, most people would suffer a debuff in real life if you ripped their dog in half right in front of them. Of course the impact is lessened when you can just resummon it and it’s perfectly fine.
user7853

What kind of fucking alien are you?

when you cant carry enough mini nukes and rockets to make 3 new nuclear winters then the next best thing is artillery, aka “fuck you i dont want to deal with this the old way, ill just bombard the whole place”

the dog just faints, kind of.  
hell, if anything one would be enraged and try to kill whatever damaged me poor doggo, not just “oh no someone slapped my magical companion, ill start missing arrows and shooting them with less strenght now”

compare them to pathfinder’s companions that have virtually no drawbacks, and its funny having a monitor lizard bigger than 3 adult men just sitting in the throne room
Officer Hotpants

Double-0 Negative
@Absol95  
I’m assuming you’re referring specifically to quests and not, like, terrain generation. In which case I think I’d go with total randomization. Radiant quests are so god damn bland that I’d honestly rather have them removed with nothing filling the void than have them. Procedural generation would effectively become radiant quests once you started noticing the patterns in the generation.
Barhandar
Artist -
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained (Cheeky Breeky)

@ANoobis  
Procedural does not fucking make better environments. Anything you can get in modded Minecraft loses to handmade landscapes.

@Absol95  
Radiant quests can go get fucked. They’re lazy hack’s way to not actually WRITE GOOD QUESTS and anyone suggesting procedurally generated quests, even as filler, needs to be demoted to the lowest salary possible immediately as it will be a lot higher cost/benefit ratio than shitting up the product.
FeatherTrap
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Artist -

Knight of Boops
I prefer the Morrowind-that-should-have-been model, thanks Zenimax for screwing Julian LeFay out of his baby. >:(

full

In this early design document, it was talked about how they wanted the story to focus on a conflict between all five of the Great Houses of Morrowind, which would have spanned the entire width and breadth of the province, not just vvardenfell. This game would have blended the best of both worlds: Hand-crafted cities and important plot locations, surrounded by a procedurally generated wilderness to explore so that no two playthroughs are the same. A natural evolution of the gameplay of Daggerfall, and worthy of baring the title of Julian LeFay’s magnum opus title: The Elder Scrolls.

Oh and in terms of scale, Todd Howard’s Morrowind-Themed Amusement Park Ride game’s interpretation of Vvardenfell could have fit comfortably in just one of those squares on the grid.
FeatherTrap
Artist -

Knight of Boops
@Officer Hotpants  
Back then it would have been ambitious as hell, no doubt about that. But that never stopped Bethesda before, the company that was back in those days. The one Zenimax gutted from the inside-out to replace with Todd Howard and the slide into modern Bethesda.

I think Indigo Gaming said it best, so I’ll just paraphrase it here: Arena and Daggerfall came from an era when devs would shoot for the stars and wouldn’t let any misses deter them. Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim where made a Bethesda that always lands their mark, because they only bother to aim for the foothills.
Absol95

#PSvitaNation
@FeatherTrap  
Yes, indeed very much so. However, like just about any Bethesda game, there would have to be at least some cut content, even in the best of time conditions.
Cyborg_pony

Microsoft bought Acti-blizzard. Expect that journos to now proclaim you have an obligation to renew your WoW subscription and buy all their games by the same people just now for Xbox exclusivity and you’re a bigot for not.
Barhandar
Artist -
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained (Cheeky Breeky)

@Cyborg_pony  
1: Monopolizing is shit and M$ needs to be broken up entirely, including losing all not-hardware-or-OS properties.  
2: Blizzard is dead lmao this changes nothing, all their competent staff have left.
Cyborg_pony

@Barhandar  
A lot of consooming going on just after the news, as if this has somehow magically saved the company with all the same hackneyed writers, devs and people in charge. It’s sad and I predicted this outcome when the BIG WALKOUT of barely 200 out of thousands of staff and mostly interns likely Happened and not one person was linked to the event that brought upon it.

Plus there’s no date when the acquisition happens and their already cheering.
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide