Video game thread

Barhandar
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Artist -
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained (Cheeky Breeky)

16GB and up may help performance with gaming. Like more CPU cores, more RAM is better than less, with no downside to having more other than cost.
unless your motherboard is old enough to be unable to support over a given cap of RAM  
Or you could just get a prebuilt gaming system from Dell, or Alienware, or insert your favorite brand here.
which will be severely overpriced (300 bucks for the baby slots puzzle-tier action, namely, assembly? easy) and will come with lots and lots of shit software, which, admittedly, is like the laptops  
I personally recommend either buying it with a blank drive, or wiping it yourself then installing your system of choice (yarr W10 Enterprise Edition if you insist on using W10)  
For a gaming desktop currently I’d recommend an Intel i5 or higher, or a Ryzen 5 if you’re an AMD fanboy. I recommend no less than 16GB of RAM for a gaming system, and there’s nothing wrong with 24 or 32 gigs—or more, though we might be getting to the point of diminishing returns.
Modern software targets 16 gigs as the minimum to fill out like RAM is an exclusive resource instead of pooled (LOOKING AT YOU CHROME YOU FUCKING DROOLING RETARDED BABY). Having more will definitely be needed soon if you want to play any “modern” releases.
Azure Fang
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Oh no, he's here?
Damn. Steve Sinclair is a damned good liar. For the past year or so he’s been saying cross-save is in the works, but cross-play isn’t/isn’t going to be an option/would cause too many problems…

And now, Warframe is getting all-platform cross-play and cross-save: https://www.warframe.com/news/the-new-war-tennocon-2021

Additionally, Steve has now made mention that they are looking into account mergers. Looks like I might be getting my arcane helmets back after all.
EverfreeEmergencies
Artist -

Amateur-er Autist
I’m not sure why Starship Corporation is being nice and not plummeting to 1 FPS all of a sudden, but I’m not complaining. Some of the bigger ships are interesting to build in.  
@IvanSatoru  
Imo you should try to get literally anything else besides Dell if at all possible.
Sapphie
Rampant Bear - A courageous companion
Autist -
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Lil Importer Shid - Hi, Im a lil shid.

Senior Moderator
Unavailable
@IvanSatoru  
Afaik they’re a popular choice for “buy an old one but replace GPU”, so I’d say go for it if that’s your intended use case. But be wary of the small/thin ones, since it’s hard to get a GPU to fit
IvanSatoru
Artist -
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Boot badge - It's Bootiful

Angle-Considerer
@Humble Oriathan  
Loks like it’s on its 24th alpha version, 25th coming very soon.  
Why are the processor power and memory requirements vastly greater for Windows than all the other supported systems?
Absol95
Boot badge - It's Bootiful

#PSvitaNation
Fallout 4, along with Megaman X6, Megaman X5, Fallout 76 (especially after Wastelanders came along and added things that should have been there in the first place), Battlefield 4 and Battlefield: Hardline, are games that I consider to be neither great, nor are they so bad that they deserve to be put on the same level of awful, poor, or terrible as Superman 64, Sonic ‘06, Battlefield V, Gameboy Megaman II, Duke Nukem Forever, or Megaman X7. These games are what I consider to have a certain charm to them, even when you take in to account their flaws and shortcomings, be it in said games’ glitches, lore inconsistencies, bad-iffy mechanics, or content that never made it into the final product for whatever reason. Its fun to go play, or at least watch what wasn’t screwed up in these aforementioned games.
EverfreeEmergencies
Artist -

Amateur-er Autist
@Anonymous #FA03  
Not sure. I seriously doubt messing with mods would screw up the root steam folder, and the drive is only 4 years old and I haven’t ran it all that hard, so that seems unlikely too. I guess I could run chkdsk and find out.

I suppose it’s a good opportunity to move steam out of programfiles, but that doesn’t make it any less annoying. Especially since I’m losing all my Starship Corporation ship designs. I spent hours on those.
Azure Fang

Oh no, he's here?
@EverfreeEmergencies  
I’m with Barhandar on this. If the entire drive was unreadable, that would be one thing. And Steam’s manifest files are prone to failure for a number of reasons, but they only result in Steam and the Library malfunctioning while leaving the actual game installs fully accessible via direct folder access. But a specific folder being unreadable is suspect.

Running chkdsk /f /r would be prudent. If there’s any bad sectors, it may be able to recover the data and restore an operable state without having to reinstall, assuming there’s no malicious software causing the issue.

On a possibly related note, you haven’t run the New World beta recently, have you?
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide