Video game thread

Azure Fang
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Oh no, he's here?
@Officer Hotpants  
Yeah, I learned quick that space wasn’t really an issue on my last run. By the time I had performed an efficiency pass on my farm, I had numerous empty plots in the Barn area that I ended up turning into ballpits for pure Pinks to burn through research. But for the docks, I have an often counterproductive gaming quirk of taking advantage of any “free” real estate: squeezing every crafting bench as close as I can even though I have 4x as much space, using preexisting landmarks to the point of forgetting other uses, retaining lower-level items in favor of higher level if I got them free.

Still can’t believe the art director for Monomi Park is the same guy behind old Mac Hall Comics and Spiral Knights.
Officer Hotpants
Rabid Squirrel - Don't pet it.
A toast - Incredibly based
Officer Shid pants - Hi, Im a lil shid.
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.

Double-0 Negative
@Azure Fang  
I think I’d just about unlocked all the research last time I played. And I have my shed area set up with pink/crystals and pink/rocks, myself. I was mostly fucking around trying to finish up the sidequests with the other ranchers while trying to figure out what I where I was supposed to go after the laser desert.

Yeah, that doesn’t really look like Monster Rancher’s style. Guess he’s continued to improve.
ANoobis
Book Horse - A user who has contributed to 5k+ metadata changes.

Ghibelline Omnipotens
I’ve been playing Ni No Kuni 2. I really like the kingdom development aspect. Level-5’s town building systems are always really charming.
Officer Hotpants

Double-0 Negative
@EverfreeEmergencies  
I do like when a game that uses hyperspace lanes puts systems outside of the lanes. Endless Space 2 is good for that. Or Space Empires 4. That’s one’s extra fun in that, in the late game, you can actually research the ability to open & close lanes yourself. Or block their creation or closure in your space. You can cut yourself off in a little pocket of the galaxy and block people from coming in while you build yourself up. Or cut the enemy off. I like to isolate enemy systems, connect them to a heavily fortified “gate” system and then pour ships through while locking the lanes down so they can’t bring in help.
EverfreeEmergencies
Artist -

Amateur-er Autist
@FeatherTrap  
Don’t worry, both are still in the game. Wormholes are just reskins of gateways and warp is the late game tech that was already in the game! Besides, everyone knows forcing every empire to use the same mode of transport gives more strategic options than having to worry about defending your valuable systems from enemies that don’t care about your silly roads.
FeatherTrap
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Artist -

Knight of Boops
@EverfreeEmergencies  
Oh great, one was sold back to me as a worse version, and Warp Drives where already in the game as the supreme FTL late game tech (side effects may include daemons of the warp invading the galaxy en masse, ask your doctor if Warp Drives are right for you).

Thanks for stripping variety and creative potential out of a game that was sold on that premise. Enjoy your slow transition to becoming a worse Endless Space.

You know what? After watching Sseth’s video I just realised, Paradox is trying to make Stellaris into Endless Space! No wonder I hate it now!
Humble Oriathan
Boot badge - It's Bootiful

Wally Worshiper
Played 4 hours of Resident Evil 8 so far. It’s pretty good. It’s basically RE4 but in first person, and instead of looking for the president’s daughter in Spain, you’re looking for a newborn baby girl in Romania. Treasures return, merchants return, you can buy better weapons, you can buy upgrades for those weapons, you can buy weapon mods, you’re in a castle getting hunted down by hooded figures that drop money when you kill them. The only thing you CAN’T do compared to RE4 is combine treasures to create more valuable treasures.
Azure Fang

Oh no, he's here?
Endless Space 2 and Endless Legend finally got their delayed updates/DLC, which also includes a first draft of an official Auriga map for Legend. And to “celebrate” finally getting what is presumably the last DLC for both, all Endless games/DLC except the two just released are discounted by 75%. If anybody’s been on the fence about Endless Space 2 and/or Endless Legend, now’s the time to get them considering the franchise collection of 4 games and 20 DLC is only US$55.46.

EDIT: Also, for those who have kept up with Space 2’s development, a long awaited hero was added:  
full
Azure Fang

Oh no, he's here?
@Officer Hotpants  
I’ve seen it now and dropped an additional award on your response, enjoy some more Steam Points. While I can’t disagree with the fundamental statement they made, it’s a motherfucking video game; the “violent video game” hate fad faltered, so now we’re bitching about anthropomorphic space-pugs with hammers the size of their combined self being a “culture vehicle”? People like that will find a reason to be assmad about literally anything.
Azure Fang

Oh no, he's here?
@EverfreeEmergencies  
The first comment in the announcement’s discussion is someone bitching about pugs being overbred and suffering, and that “this culture” should not be promoted. Over an anthropomorphized dog-creature.

I don’t like to say some people shouldn’t be part of video game culture. I like to believe that a non-gamer is just a gamer that hasn’t found their game yet. But some people really strain that view.
Officer Hotpants

Double-0 Negative
@Azure Fang  
Sweet. I’mma buy me an obnoxious avatar frame that slows down people with older hardware’s systems!

@EverfreeEmergencies  
It’s kind of hilarious, taking a moral stand while calling them “disgusting” and saying things like:  
By showcasing them in a game, you are promoting the existence of an inbred abomination.
EverfreeEmergencies
Artist -

Amateur-er Autist
@Azure Fang  
This is why I hate that game companies keep trying to appeal to broad audiences. It either attracts people who have absolutely no standards and will happily gobble down whatever awful decision is made, or people like this. Then they go on to infect other titles.  
@Officer Hotpants  
>If you create an anthropomorphic pug, you must support cruel selective breeding programs!  
>If you use slaves in your game, you must support slavery!  
>If you draw a nazi pony, you must be a nazi!  
It’s all so tiresome.
Azure Fang

Oh no, he's here?
@Azure Fang
This is why I hate that game companies keep trying to appeal to broad audiences. It either attracts people who have absolutely no standards and will happily gobble down whatever awful decision is made, or people like this. Then they go on to infect other titles.

Having a wide appeal isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Asshats will be attracted to whatever can glean them drama, appeal or not; a quick trip to both the Nier: Replicant and R-Type Final 2 recent thread graveyards (or any game with a pre-determined, cisgendered protagonist) confirms this. It’s when “broad appeal” means sacrifice of core mechanics/values in an established franchise, such Skyrim being streamlined to “appeal to a broader consumerbase”, (I wish I could find the Todd Howard quote from pre-launch where he said, flat out, that he doesn’t care about “core fans”, but I’m not sifting through every Game Informer from 2008-2011 and all I can find is a ‘12 comment where he lies through his teeth claiming that they didn’t change anything in the TES formula for Skyrim) that I see a problem.
Barhandar
Artist -
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained (Cheeky Breeky)

@Azure Fang  
Admittedly TES/F4 are less “broader audience” and more “Bethesda are lazy hacks who want to spend minimum time and money on development, and good quests, thought out game mechanics and dungeons, and balanced combat take way more than minimum time and money”.  
Catching more idiots by making the game shallower but wider is but a side effect of that.

Wonder if there are such people in comments for Gothic/Risen, considering theme of the games.

@EverfreeEmergencies  
And to make the joke even funnier, ardent shitting on everyone in sight has always accomplished the opposite of the stated intent.  
For example, Russian people are less homophobic on average than a decade ago not because of any action by the gays - if anything, that slowed it down - but because of obnoxious pseudo-“patriot” propagandists using their homophobia as a selling point; people don’t want to be associated with those, so they hate the gays less.
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide