Video game thread

ANoobis
A toast - Incredibly based
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Book Horse - A user who has contributed to 5k+ metadata changes.
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Ghibelline Omnipotens
I’m finally giving Assassin’s Creed Valhalla a try, since I could play it without having to pay for it with ps+. I’m liking it more than Odyssey and much more than Origins so far. The viking theme is much more to my taste. I fell off the series after Unity came out so broken that it dissuaded from playing it. By the time I tried the series again, Origins was the new one, and I just didn’t like the new systems. I gave Odyssey a shot, because the Greek setting is more interesting to me, but it still didn’t work for me.

I have no idea what’s supposed to be happening in the present at this point. It never really mattered to me to begin with. Desmond was such a dull character that his frequent interruptions were the low points of every game. Even my favorite games in the series, Black Flag and Rogue, made you walk around an office as a nameless tablet carrying drone every once in a while. I wish they’d just drop the present junk entirely.
Posted Report
FeatherTrap
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Artist -

Knight of Boops
@ANoobis  
Well, what happened in the series is that Ubisoft decided that the whole Assassin/Templar conflict was less interesting then just going to different time periods to have historical revisionism hour.

Someone needs to inform Ubisoft that deeper is better then wider when it comes to story telling. They keep thinking that they need novel new time periods and settings with a new list of bland and strangely progressive for their time protagonists to play with, when in reality what they should be doing is fleshing out the ideologies of it’s factions beyond “FREEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMM!” and “Muh Order!”. XP

The collection of Ass Creed games collectively referred to as “The Kenway Saga” (Ass III, Yarr Pirates and Rogue) and Unity (which is tangentely related to it) all played around with the idea that the conflict wasn’t morally black and white as the first game and the Ezio Trilogy showed it, and maybe the Assassins weren’t actually the inarguable good guys. The issue is that they only did this by having the Ass-ins be perfectly fine with murdering entire cities of people who defy their own agenda, they never allow the Templar Order any kind of nuanced argument that might lead any players at all to think maybe they have a point. >.<

Deeper Ubisoft, not wider. I literally would have paid the cost of the last five games combined for a game that was basically Rogue but not utterly half-assed. Not even actually, it was more like quarter-assed. XP
Posted Report
Officer Hotpants
Rabid Squirrel - Don't pet it.
Officer Shid pants - Hi, Im a lil shid.

Double-0 Negative
I never cared about Desmond. I did care about the overarching plot regarding the upcoming disaster and the old race, though, and knowing that they just dropped all of that left a bad taste in my mouth.
Posted Report
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
One thing that’s been bothering me about this game is that they haven’t fixed the stupid and lazy way they approach ‘representation’. Better to not have it at all than to do it retardedly. I’ve already killed more women than men because apparently a majority of vikings were female. I remember from what I did play of Odyssey that seemingly 60% of all hoplites were women as well.
Posted Report
ponypony221
Chatty Kirin -

Excessively based homo
@ANoobis  
Nuhistory.

This is why I don’t play AAA games. There is a problem when an RTS game where you can become an immortal horse is more historically accurate.
Posted Report
IvanSatoru
Artist -

Angle-Considerer
I played an Asus Creed game once and it was one with that Ezio fellow. There was a scene where he and his wife were doing the baby-making. Not sure why the developers thought I needed to see that.
Posted Report
TrukkinDuck

Nopan is best pants
Older Assassin’s Creed at least have you go stealth first, swords out later. Newer ones feel like typical RPGs. Not really Assassin’s Creed if you’re not an Assassin.
Posted Report
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
The set-up to Valhalla’s early game is funny. You start off captured by the guy who killed your parents when you were a kid. He states that you’ve been hunting him for around fifteen years. Once you get cut loose, you can find his hold in the first few minutes of the game by sailing to the only landmark past your hold. He’s your character’s neighbor. His ships have to sail past your king’s fort just to get to sea.
Posted Report
Anonymous #F9D1
@ANoobis  
I still don’t understand how the animus is supposed to work. If you’re reliving some ancestor’s memories, how can you misremember being killed by a wolf like in the intro?
Posted Report
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
@Anonymous #F9D1  
It isn’t really reliving the memories. It’s creating a simulated environment based on them. Big events happen as they did, but most of what you do as the person in the sim is go through a funhouse maze version of the person’s life. You do things in hours that they did over the course of decades. When you do something too impossible, like die, you break the parameters of the simulation, and force it to resynchronize. That’s why all the health damage you take is sync damage. In canon, the only times the person you play as ever got hurt are the cutscenes. The random falling off of buildings and such is just the person in the animus going off script and breaking the simulation.
Posted Report
Anonymous #F9D1
How much faith do you have that Bioware will be able to pull off this new Mass Effect game, or do you think it’ll end up being subpar or outright bad? Personally I don’t hold much hope for any new entry in an old series.
Posted Report
Anonymous #F9D1
@ANoobis  
No idea. About the only information I know about it so far is Mary DeMarle will be the “Senior Narrative Director”.
Posted Report
FeatherTrap
Artist -

Knight of Boops
@Anonymous #F9D1  
Absolutely none whatsoever, when people say “Bioware” they don’t realise that the talented people who made up the company who brought them KOTOR, DA: Origins and Mass Effect 1 have all long gone by now, either reitred or moved on to greener pastures. All that’s left are the suits eager to increase their ESG rating and slacktivist interns who are happy to play along for ideological reasons.
Posted Report
ponypony221
Chatty Kirin -

Excessively based homo
@Cyborg_pony  
I need to start a business consulting on how to be anti-woke. I will tell game developers how to offend everyone and nail your game at the top of the media cycle.
Posted Report
FeatherTrap
Artist -

Knight of Boops
@Officer Hotpants  
No idea, I never even heard of it before and suddenly I heard it released today and everyone is eager to upload their let’s play walkthrough.

Maybe I just didn’t see the ads for it because I use Brave as my search engine. Anyone who doesn’t have an inbuilt adblocker with your browser able to confirm seeing ads for this?
Posted Report
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide