Video game thread

Officer Hotpants
Rabid Squirrel - Don't pet it.
A toast - Incredibly based
Officer Shid pants - Hi, Im a lil shid.
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Double-0 Negative
@Anonymous #F9D1  
You can’t recover that much that fast. Fuck, the only reason Earth–and humanity–survived at all was because they were too busy digging up the entrance to the Ark to be bothered with glassing it. Strictly speaking, we lost the war. The Covenant was simply torn apart by its own short-lived civil war before it could exterminate the stragglers. As it turns out, challenging their centuries old, highly-trained, well-equipped warrior caste to a fight with little more than a hoard of barely sapient gorilla wookies, whose entire tactical playbook consists of the words “CHARGE” and “PUNCH”, right on the cusp of their final victory was a shitty idea.

Even if Earth and its infrastructure had been completely untouched we’d still be mega-fucked simply because it had become heavily reliant upon the colonies to supply it with resources. As it stands, it should be at least a century before Humanity stops the bleeding, never mind begins recovering.
FeatherTrap
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Artist -

Knight of Boops
@Officer Hotpants  
Well that’s the thing isn’t it? They didn’t make it exactly the same as what it was they made it so much worse. The Precursors where just put in there to be the Forerunners of the Forerunners and in so doing devaluing and undermining their original narrative role in Bungie Halo. In the process they turned them into a civilization of self-aggrandising morons who have such a singular vision on “Muh Mantle!” that it overrides all common sense.

They only care about “Muh Mantle” because the Precursors chose them for it, but when they decided to choose Humanity instead, the Forerunners killed them all for it and fought a war with us because “We where chosen for Muh Mantle!”. The authority they are invoking for that justification is the same authority that decided Humans where a better pick, so already they’ve demonstrated themselves to be self-centered and egotistical beyond all reasonable measure.

The only reason they bothered to save the other species from the Flood is because “Muh Mantle” demanded it, they where obligated to this stupid code that they didn’t even earn anyway. Compare that to old canon where the Forerunners where simply the most advanced race in the galaxy and they chose to save the other races because they believed they had a right to exist, certainly they shouldn’t die to the Flood. They simply had morals and principles they believed in so strongly they ultimately choose to sacrifice themselves rather then take the coward’s way out and compromise on them.

Or you know what? The Banished could have actually been a good faction that actually utilized all the potentially interesting ideas that they where given, instead of being used for nothing and ultimately thrown away. I’ve talked about some of this stuff before so forgive me if I’m repeating myself a bit but what if: Instead of Atriox being this big dummy writer’s pet with dreadnaught-class starship tier plot armour, he was instead an understrength but highly intelligent subversive leader, whose vision allowed him to maintain the only heretical movement to actually outlast the Covenant itself?

He could make allies with all manner of unorthodox forces, giving the Banished a truly unique armour composition, he may have even brought Insurrectionist survivors into his fold, since it’s mentioned in 343’s own dubious lore that they had no ideological opposition to it. Imagine if one of Atriox’s top lieutenants and best friend was an old Innie Commander, maybe leading a chapter of the Banished called the Scars of Madrigal or something, using the standard Covenant lance formation but with humans in Banished powered armour in place of Sanghelli or Jiralhanne commanders.

Here’s an idea: if such a character existed and was one of Atriox’s closest friends, maybe they could bond over their mutual distaste for the authorities leading their races on what they see as a tyrannical and destructive path? Maybe this could give them an actual reason to declare war on the UNSC as comrades in arms, since I really don’t understand what why they do it in 343’s canon. I don’t even think they ever bother explaining it, they just wanted a replacement Covenant, and theirs is so much cooler then that lame Bungie stuff, you guys!

So much potential with the Banished as a faction, all of it squandered. Thanks 343, you even ruin your own good ideas.

But really, would it kill them to actually fucking expand the universe? Why can’t they even add a new alien species without the excuse of the “Covenant Fringe” to say “oh akctshually, they where always part of the Covenant, we just didn’t see them in the games”. Fuck off 343, the Milky Way is a fucking galaxy, do you understand the sheer fucking scale of that setting? It’s not unreasonable in the slightest to assume the overwhelming amount of space is not under Covenant influence and control, and that there may be other alien factions out there to fight. Get creative guys, you really want to make your mark on this setting, how about you expand and enrich it instead of shitting on the ideas of people more creative then you?

@Anonymous #F9D1  
Don’t even get me started on that shit, I have no idea how the fuck humanity could even afford the Infinity or the SPARTAN IV program, considering how you can afford an entire fleet of cruisers for the cost of one set of MJOLNIR armour.  
On the list of positionally good ideas squandered: a game set in the interim between Halo 3 and (a much better mind) Halo 4, where the UNSC has had to be economical just to survive. It could develop the squad mechanics that Halo: Reach dabbled with and bring them up to Republic Commando levels, the story bringing back the Rookie from Halo 3: ODST as the player character, now the Sergeant of his own ODST team.

This game would return to the Halo: CE approach to gameplay where the protagonist was more of an elite version of a marine rather then a power armoured god of war like in 2 and 3. The ODSTs would be one of several units testing out a new combat harness designed with the assistance of Vergil and other Huragok defectors from the Covenant. Since we know they could generate shields around targets even without power armour, they would have created an experimental shield emitter that could be fitted into marine armour, hence how the player character could have shields similar to Halo: CE levels without power armour or regression in technology.

And they could use it to show off the factions the Covenant has dissolved into, and maybe introduce a couple new species into the canon, some of which humanity may actually try to make alliances with in an attempt to help restart their ruined economy with trade agreements.

Just one of the things I would make if I was in charge of post-Bungie Halo. I have a number of spin-off ideas that I think would be interesting…but enough about me I guess.
ANoobis
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Book Horse - A user who has contributed to 5k+ metadata changes.

Ghibelline Omnipotens
I’ve been out of the loop regarding Halo since I dropped the series after 4. What is the deal with the Banished? I gather that they were some kind of Covenant breakaway that somehow fought off the Covenant. And apparently, they’re powerful enough to beat the Flood in conventional warfare, which neither the Forerunners nor 343’s nu-Forerunners could do. How are they unable to pull the trigger on the remnants of humanity? I’m having trouble gauging how large and powerful they’re meant to be.

Also, where do all the Spartan II’s keep coming from? Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2 both have II’s. They would have been useful when the Earth was being invaded.
FeatherTrap
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Artist -

Knight of Boops
@ANoobis  
They’re just another of 343’s wasted ideas, I can’t even answer all those questions properly because the writers didn’t think it was necessary to provide us with them. >.<  
They’re the nu-Covenant and they’re so much cooler and they can beat Master Chief aren’t they so cool shut up and like them.

They’re not new SPARTAN II’s, Blue Team is Chief’s old team. The others where sent to Onyx and where frozen in Forerunner stasis pods for the remainder of the war, and Red Team where still on the Spirit of Fire at the end of Halo Wars 1 so both of them are accounted for.

Admittedly, Halo Wars 2 was horribly contrived from the outset and Blue Team was not given the proper game introduction they needed, so I understand your confusion in thinking they’re “new”. 343’s writers just assumed you know who they are, because properly introducing book characters into the games is for chumps I guess.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
@FeatherTrap  
It wasn’t that I thought they were new. The question was more along the lines of “which closet has the series been keeping these Spartans in this whole time?” It sounds like they were just being stored, funnily enough.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
When I first beat Halo 3, I remember thinking that those marines doing the seven gun salute at the memorial service were incredibly blessed to be alive at that point. It seemed like they represented entirely too large a percentage of the UNSC’s remaining strength. It felt pretty cool to see that scene at the time, feeling like humanity had just held on by its finger nails.

When I learned about the Banished later, I assumed that they were basically nothing. Some little Covenant dregs nanopower that just happened to have an intact force in a galaxy in which that had become rare. I figured the dynamic would be that they were weak, but humanity had nothing left to give, so any conflict between them might be desperate and ugly, but still the galactic equivalent of two bugs in a jar.
Anonymous #F9D1
GTA Online PC lobbies are a lot more chill than I remember it being last time I played, back on the 360. Minus a modder blowing my eardrums out by completing everyone’s collectibles and granting me enough RP to go from level 5 to 15 in one go.  
@FeatherTrap  
I have no idea how the fuck humanity could even afford the Infinity

Nah bro, it was being constructed since the 2240s and the Covenant just so happened to not blow the shit out of the massive, fuckoff supercarrier when they came to visit the Sol system ^:)  
@FeatherTrap  
I’m just happy they forgot about Sergeant Stacker. Buck and the rest of the squad from ODST couldn’t be spared (seriously, fuck 343 for what they did with Alpha 9.), but at least they haven’t ruined Stacker.
Anonymous #F9D1
Well, the new MCC update just dropped, and given they’ve shoved all the new customization stuff into the rotating shop I’m going to assume they’ve decided to go forward with adding micro later on. Surprise surprise.  
@Officer Hotpants  
White Sergeant Johnson, yeah.  
@TrukkinDuck  
For the most part all the lobbies I’ve been in people mostly leave each other alone. Sometimes there’s one or two guys that go around killing everyone, but by and large they’ll do their own thing and talk about weird shit in the chat.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
I’m most of the way through Iki Island in Ghost of Tsushima, and I can’t get behind the story. The raiders bitch and moan so hard about being victims fifteen years ago when they brought the samurai invasion on themselves. They hid their fighters among their civilian population during the war and cry about massacres when the samurai did the obvious counter move. It’s especially bad whenever you remember that they’re pirates, and the reason the samurai invaded in the first place was them massacring Tsushima’s population first. You even meet someone who objects to you wearing the armor of a legendary hero who saved a village from a particularly nasty pirate crew.

They never come out and say, “why couldn’t you let us rape and murder in peace?” but that’s what they mean. It’s an entire nation of dindus, and I just have no sympathy for them. And it bothers me that the game does. They are portrayed as being largely right.
Anonymous #F9D1
I love how 343 tried to turn Halo into an eSport and relaxed, casual multiplayer is dead. I love starting matches with half my team AFK. I especially love getting temp bans for leaving such a shit match instead of stepping away until the enemy team ends it.

Ten years ago solo play could still be enjoyable.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
The devs of Multiversus changed Velma’s super so that she doesn’t call the police anymore. Twitter freaked out when she called the police on Lebron in a promo video.
Officer Hotpants
Rabid Squirrel - Don't pet it.
Officer Shid pants - Hi, Im a lil shid.

Double-0 Negative
Would have been better to remove James from the game. Why is he even in it? Because of the world’s most undemanded late sequel? Might as well stick Wayne Knight in there. At least he’s likable.
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide