The Nerd Thread (Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Comics, Games, Collectibles, Lore, etc.)

Dex Stewart
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Artist -
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
This dude is a character from Power Rangers Ninja Storm. He’s the head teacher of a secret ninja school. I always thought his name was Amano.  
Amano is a real Japanese name, after all. It turns out his name is actually “Omino”.

full

“Omino” isn’t a name in Japan or anywhere, from what I can find. There’s companies named that, but no people.  
Did whoever was writing the end credits not know how the name was supposed to be spelled? Or was this actually how the writers intended his name to be spelled?
Posted Report
ANoobis
A toast - Incredibly based
Book Horse - A user who has contributed to 5k+ metadata changes.

Ghibelline Omnipotens
Ezra Miller plead guilty to trespassing in order to have the burglary and larceny charges dropped. All he’s getting is probation and a suspended sentence.
Posted Report
Dex Stewart
Artist -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@ponypony221  
It’s also a family name, so in context it makes sense. The characters refer to him only as “Sensei Amano”, so it’s the equivalent to a last name over here, to the primarily western audience they were writing for.  
This has all been very fascinating.  
I love finding dumb little rabbit holes to go down.
Posted Report
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
Simon Pegg is being mobbed for having a role in Hogwarts Legacy. I guess that explains why he was fishing for brownie points recently. He should know by now that there’s no such thing as currying favor with these people.
Posted Report
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
Here’s the latest leak from WotC. The D&D Beyond service was already going to get worse before this, with previous editions being vaulted and whatnot. But now we have such gems as tiered subscriptions up to $30 per month, complete with pay-to-win mechanics based on sub tier, AI dms to compensate for plummeting availability as more people leave for other systems, and homebrew being paywalled behind the highest subscription tiers. That last one threw me for a minute, but then I remembered that as of OGL 1.1, everything you imagine becomes WotC’s IP as soon as you think it up. According to that framework, at lower payment tiers, you haven’t leased the right to use what they consider to be their property.

Those AIs are also doubtless going to act as an automated wrongthink detection system. One D&D has agenda at the forefront of its design, so players are going to be dealing with a more retarded version of YouTube’s content ID system monitoring them for ist and phobe flags.
FeatherTrap
Artist -

Knight of Boops
@ANoobis  
Well great, guess we’ll all have to migrate over to playing L5R…or the Pony RPG.

Actually why weren’t we already moving to that second one? :P
Posted Report
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
The D&D situation is over. WotC has reinstated OGL 1.0a and has gone so far as to make SRD 5.1, the ruleset 5e is based on, Creative Commons. 5e practically isn’t even owned by them anymore after this move. I’d be surprised if we hear about OneD&D for a while, since it was so wrapped up in OGL 1.1’s morality clause.

Also, Hasbro announced that they’re laying off 1,000 employees today.
Posted Report
ponypony221
Chatty Kirin -

Excessively based homo
@ANoobis  
Hopefully someone in those 1000 is the one who thought that BS was a good idea.

Their reputation is already trashed. I don’t think anyone would ever want to develop a commercial product connected to them now.
Posted Report
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
There are rumors flying around that Brie Larson is being considered for Netflix’s Gears of War adaptation.
Posted Report
FeatherTrap
Artist -

Knight of Boops
You know something? I think I know why I could never get back into Harry Potter after I lost interest in it. The disappointment that was the antagonist.

So for context, I was six years old when the Lord of the Rings movies first released and my parents took me to see it. I didn’t even have to argue with them, they where very excited to see this movie and share it with their children, so I got to have my mind blown by that shit when I was just a colt. This was easily the best decision they ever made when raising me. X3

When I saw that movie I was introduced to the Dark Lord Sauron: a supremely powerful malevolent spirit, a fallen-angel-turned-devil that was the embodiment of all creation’s ills. Everything he touched turned foul, charred and dead, corrupted against the natural and right order of the world to suit his dark desires and cause suffering and torment to the free peoples of Middle Earth. What a fucking awesome villain, and absolutely deserving the title of The Dark Lord.

Then I saw Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (I was actually introduced to the franchise through the movies first, and I never got around to properly reading all the books), and that first movie introduces the Dark Lord Voldemort, a figure so terrifying that people are too afraid to even say his name out loud. In that movie Hagrid mentions he went “as bad as a wizard can go” and he “brought his followers over to the dark side”.

Wow, what a premise to start with! I wonder what this feared dark wizard could be up to? Well he’s killing unicorns and drinking their blood, maybe he’s trying to perform some kind of blood magic ritual to make himself immortal? Or maybe he’s attempting to defy death itself by becoming some kind of spectral liche, or maybe he’s trying to ascend into godhood or-

He’s racist.

That’s it. He’s magic-racist. XP

I don’t think I’ve ever been blue-balled that hard by anything else in my childhood. Compare that to some series I ended up reading later and kind of took over my earlier Potter-craze.  
During my teenage years it got supplanted with the Skullduggery Pleasant novels, they introduced the Church of the Faceless, a faction of sorcerers who worship a race of infinitely powerful lovecraftian abominations called The Faceless Ones, deluded into thinking that if they could call them back into our world they would be granted power as their reward.  
Later it would introduce us to the Necromancers, who in a twist on the usual formula, where so obsessed with studying the forces of life and death because they where terrified of death and wanted to use their Dark Messiah: The Deathbringer, to kill half the world’s population all at once in a mass-death event of such unprecedented scale it would clog up the circle of life and allow those that where left to live forever.

When I finally got over that series and come now to my present enjoyment of the Dresden Files series (Harry Dresden is best Harry, suck it Pottaaaah), this series brings in Heinrich Kemmler, the world’s most renowned and feared necromancer who basically wrote half the literature on Black Magic, had allies in every vampire court and malevolent faerie in the Nevernever and his plan was to perform the rite he created known as the Darkhallow, in which he would devour millions of souls of the dead to become a god. He was “confirmed” killed six separate times by the White Council of Wizards, and even now that he’s supposedly dead for real (no body confirmed btw) his apprentices are following in his footsteps and they have their own reasons for attempting the Darkhallow.

The point I’m making with all of this, is that all of these evildoers play off the idea of being villainous wizards. Their agendas involve dark powers that mortals minds can barely comprehend or control, you couldn’t take any of these characters and put them in say…a standard World War II story and expect the same motivation.

But you could just take Tom Riddle and make him an SS officer, strip all the magic stuff out of Harry Potter, and have functionally the same damn villain. That’s why Voldemort is a little faker baby bitch at the title of Dark Lord, or even Dark Wizard. He’s just magic-racist.

And the worst part is that J.K. Rowling did it again with Gellert Grindelwald. It’s like she only knows how to write one kind of villain, and it’s the most boring fucking kind for a setting predicated on the idea that MAGIC IS FUCKING REAL AND HOLY SHIT LOOK AT ALL THESE COOL THINGS WE CAN DO WITH IT.

If you’re going to go to the trouble of creating an entire world full of magic, adventure, monsters and all manner of arcane secrets and fantastical creatures, I must ask please do something more inspired with it then magic-racist.
AlsoSprachOdin

@ANoobis  
“Just don’t do thing”  
HOW DARE YOU! Don’t you realize how bigoted it is to suggest not doing a thing you can do! Every woman should be free to do anything they want to anytime with no consequences or expenses and without shitlords telling them what they can do and cant do I literally can’t
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide