The Nerd Thread (Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Comics, Games, Collectibles, Lore, etc.)

Zerowinger
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the bumped head

3-3/4" Army Man Fan
So I’d be thinking recently about Habro’s HasLab - where they run a kind of crowdfunding model for really ambition projects that probably wouldn’t succeed at retail but which fans would really like. So far they’ve successfully funded projects like Jabba’s Sail Barge, Unicron, Galactus, and the G.I. Joe Skystriker, but I was wondering: what about My Little Pony?

What kind of MLP item do you think would work for HasLab? A continuation of the Guardians of Harmony line? A full-size Canterlot Castle? Giant-sized Tirek?
ANoobis
A toast - Incredibly based
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Book Horse - A user who has contributed to 5k+ metadata changes.
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Ghibelline Omnipotens
Everybody is talking about Cobra Kai Season 4, and it has me wondering where the 3 Ninjas follow-up series is. I need to know what Tum Tum has been up to all this time.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
There’s a new adaptation of Urusei Yatsura coming out this year. It’s being animated by the company that does Jojo and Fire Force, so I’m expecting it to look pretty. And I’m glad to see that they haven’t toned down Lum’s design.

full

Now here’s hoping that the show ends up good. It could still end up lame if they try to round its edges for “modern sensibilities”.
Zerowinger

3-3/4" Army Man Fan
@ANoobis  
I think the closest risk there is to it being modified for “modern sensibilities” is with the English dub studios. The Japanese studios really don’t GAF about the culture wars going on in the U.S.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
There’s a female Zorro show coming to the CW. I don’t know how they’re doing this. The CW is already up for sale due to hemorrhaging money.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
The female reboot of Zorro already is in trouble for utterly predictable reasons. Naturally, the CW and the access media are leaning into their racist ‘latinx’ agenda. I knew that would happen. A second problem that they’re running into is the name Zorro. You can’t feminize it, because ‘Zorra’ is a particularly derogatory slang term for whore, and people in their desired audience know that.
Dex Stewart
Artist -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@ANoobis  
full  
Remember that Kung Fu reboot no one was asking for, but CW apparently owned the rights to the franchise?  
Looked like any typical boring action drek. You can’t insult it though, because then you’re sexist.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
In the third episode of Book of Boba Fett, they introduced a strange looking gang of space Vespa riders.  
full

For anyone who’s confused, the gang is a reference to a 1960s British youth counterculture movement known as the Mods.

full  
full  
full

Mods are best known for the 1964 riot at Brighton Beach. You can watch the movie Quadrophenia for a dramatized version of the events.
Dex Stewart
Artist -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@ANoobis  
So they’re basically straight out of real world history.  
fullfull  
Not something new for Star Wars, but I guess I understand now why people are upset with it. Personally, I figured these were kids who’s whole world was their bikes, so naturally they’re going to take care of them so they look shiny.  
It’s not like tattooine is new to fancy vehicles.  
full
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
A rumor is going around that David Tennant will be returning as the next Doctor. The mere existence of this rumor is causing activists in journalism and on Twitter to melt down, so I hope it’s true just for spite’s sake.
Zerowinger

3-3/4" Army Man Fan
@ANoobis  
As the next doctor? I don’t know if using an old doctor all over again is a good idea.

It reminds me of back in the 80’s where the original showrunner pitched the idea of bringing back Patrick Troughton, it kind of reeks of a desperate move.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
@Zerowinger  
They are desperate. Chibnall ran the show into the ground. Tanked it so bad, in fact, that the next series isn’t even being supervised by the BBC. The next series will be made by Sony, after they bought the company that actually produces the episodes for the BBC for only $60 million.
Zerowinger

3-3/4" Army Man Fan
@Dex Stewart  
LOL, interestingly enough that might work, since I believe the Dr. Who comics were published by Marvel UK.

@ANoobis

The one strength Dr. Who has as an IP is that since both time travel and the titular character constantly changing their appearance is a given, you can actually let the series rest for a few years before restarting and there won’t be any real major issues.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
@Barhandar  
People are hopeful early on because Sony is responsible for producing and/or distributing crowd-pleasing fare like Into the Spider-verse, Cobra Kai, Venom 2, the new Spider-Man, and Ghostbusters: Afterlife. At least at the moment, they seem to be ahead of the rest of the industry in terms of shifting focus to profit from wokeness.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
George Martin has announced another concrete release date for Winds of Winter. Nov. 13, 2023. I don’t believe it myself, I think he just set it so far away so people won’t ask him about it for a while.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
It appears that they’re pulling another Witcher bait n switch with the Halo show. Master Chief appears to be a side character in their how about some navy chick.

And a new Robin Hood show is in the works. Robin Hood has been both race and gender swapped for this one.
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide