The Nerd Thread (Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Comics, Games, Collectibles, Lore, etc.)

Zerowinger
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the bumped head

3-3/4" Army Man Fan
As the title describes - general thread to discuss Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Comics, and other “Nerdy” hobbies and topics.

So I’ll start out - want to talk about Star Trek?

Having to stay home for several days, I’ve taken to re-watching Star Trek: The Next Generation on Amazon Prime. A couple of things I’ve observed:

One, “Encounter at Farpoint” is actually a much better pilot episode than it usually gets credit for. John de Lancie gives a very entertaining performance as Q, and it was cool to see Michael Bell play in a non-VA role. In fact, even though it is probably the weakest of the seasons, Season 1 of TNG does have some pretty solid and character-focused episodes such as “Datalore,” “Coming of Age,” “Heart of Glory,” and “We’ll Always Have Paris.”

Second, in Season 2, I found Doctor Pulaski a much more warm and enjoyable character than she’s usually remembered. I certainly don’t think SF Debris is justified in calling her “The Gorgon,” and I’m actually wishing we got more of her.

Third, while the first two seasons definitely suffer from the “repurposed TOS script 20-years out of date” syndrome and a number of elements will feel like they came straight from the 1960’s, Season 3 is where the show starts to come out into its own and starts developing it’s own tropes (the whodunnit or science mystery, the temporal/space anomaly, the Prime Directive/internal affairs of other worlds dilemma). However way back in Season 1 in “The Big Good-Bye,” we got the first holodeck and thus holodeck malfunction episode, which would become a major staple of both TNG and later Voyager. That episode is also notable for featuring Lawrence Tierney of Reservoir Dogs fame playing a holographic mob boss.
Dex Stewart
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Artist -
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@Zerowinger  
Lawrence Tierney is cool.  
I just finished watching the first season of Picard.  
They didn’t do enough with Hugh,he was the best thing about that show. it’s really restrained.every time there’s a potential for fanservice or just a cool idea,it pulls back. I’m not sure why exactly.
Zerowinger

3-3/4" Army Man Fan
@Dex Stewart  
Haven’t seen the Orville, though I have heard good things about it.  
Lower Decks looked like trash, and going by how bad the trailer got ratio’d on youtube I think most other people agreed. However, it is kind of cool that it has both an Orion and a Caitian in the cast.
Zerowinger

3-3/4" Army Man Fan
@Zerowinger
The doctor is the best part,but the loudmouth girl Marriner is the focus of every episode.

I’ve noticed that seems to be a common thing with these Nu-Trek shows - focusing almost entirely on one character, when previous Trek was always an ensemble show where everyone got a chance to shine. Kind of like Friendship is Magic.
Zerowinger

3-3/4" Army Man Fan
@Dex Stewart  
I just didn’t think the kind of Rick and Morty-ish humor they were going for was suitable for a canon Star Trek show. For a parody, maybe, but not for Star Trek proper. Kind of the same reason I wasn’t impressed with the idea for Star Wars: Detours.
Dex Stewart
Artist -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@Zerowinger  
Most of the jokes don’t even have anything to do with Star Trek,there is one scene,I’m not even sure if it’s supposed to be a joke. They show a statue of O’Brien in a future history class,and say he was one of the greatest of Starfleet.  
If that was intended as a joke, the writers definitely did not get Star Trek,cause O’Brien kicks ass.
Dex Stewart
Artist -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@Zerowinger  
Id have to pay for it myself,but the only available job around here has long hours,do I’d be paying for something I couldn’t even use. I’d settle for multiple Samsung Galaxy phones,then I could just keep hotspot linking them to my crappy phone.  
I’ve fallen into an odd routine.
Zerowinger

3-3/4" Army Man Fan
I’ve read thru the first four issues of the Batman: The Adventures Continue comics, and I’m lamenting that it’s only going to last for 3 more issues.
Dex Stewart
Artist -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
Ten good things about the Star Wars Holiday Special:

1.The costume design and suit acting.  
People hate that the wookies aren’t translated,but did they really need to be? You can tell what they want,mean,and feel. Just through the body language and facial animatronics.  
2.Bea Arthur sings a song and it kicks ass.  
3.Art Carney’s line when he’s trying to hide Han Solo’s name is better than the movie Solo’s scene where he gets his name.  
4.The Animated segment,is awkward and wobbly,but it’s a good solid story and it introduces Boba Fett who would be quite an influential character.  
5.can I count the commercials?  
T.O.B.O.R. is robot spelled backwards. Look for the union label. Reggie Bar.  
6.a stormtrooper smashes Lumpy’s toy.  
7.Chewie has a son named Lumpy,no doubt his full name is Lumpbacca. His father,Itchy’s name is probably Itchacctheralm,or something needlessly long.  
8.Jefferson Starship’s Light this guy on Fire song.(sky on fire,I know I’m joking)  
9.Its basically a slice of life(day) story set in the Star Wars Universe.  
10.Harvey Korman as the Julia Chiod-esque tv cook,with her multiple arms,it makes me wonder if she was an inspiration for Dexter Jettster.  
Bonus 11. One of Rifftrax’s best.
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide