Random fact about yourself

Anonymous #A950
@Havoc  
My computer crashed about two seconds after I sent that. No exaggeration. I remember being so happy when we were putting this piece of shit together. NEVER again.
Dex Stewart
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Artist -
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
I know the whole theme song to Iron King for some reason.  
🎵Jigoku no soko Kara yomigaeru  
Akuma no keshin doku no Hana  
Tatakae bokura no Iron King-u  
Mamore midori no Kono daichi  
Shock Shock Iron Shock Kiri no naka Kara Iron King-guu…🎵
UrbanMysticDee

Bae > Bay
Also, I do stupid stuff in public, like dance or walk funny swinging my arms and kicking my feet on purpose when I’m around lots of people just to see if anyone notices, and so far no one has or no one cares. I’m either a ninja and can turn completely invisible or the whole world has become so apathetic that they don’t even care about some fool dancing in the middle of a crowded room.
ANoobis
A toast - Incredibly based
Book Horse - A user who has contributed to 5k+ metadata changes.

Ghibelline Omnipotens
I have two extreme fears: spiders and depictions “grey aliens”.
  • My fear of “greyliens” appeared only within the last decade. Before, the depictions never bothered me; I grew up on the original runnings of “mystery documentaries” like Sightings. Now, they trigger instant panic.

I recently became interested in greys and how they entered into the public consciousness. The prototypical alien had been the little green man. I was wondering why the greys had overtaken them, and what I put together is pretty neat.

The little green men first appeared in the late forties, and they were typically portrayed as extremely hostile. The comic book and pulp magazine stories involving them tended to depict them as overtly violent, sometimes even invading the Earth to wage open war against us and requiring Superman or whoever to tip the scales against them. The rash of UFO sightings in the forties and fifties, with Roswell being a notable exception, tended to involve large numbers of witnesses during daylight hours.

The greys first appeared in the early sixties. They tend to sneak around, abducting people at night and either disappearing them or messing with their memories. There’s also heavy hinting of unethical medical and sexual experimentation going on during these blackout periods. The greys are also closely associated with the Men in Black phenomenon that gained traction during this time.

I think that the greens appeared as they did because of the residual trauma from WW2. It isn’t a surprise that the prospect of an overwhelmingly powerful enemy suddenly waging mass war on the Earth would excite the fears and passions of audiences. Sci-fi movies of the day (e.g. Invaders from Mars, The Thing from Another World, Plan 9 from Outer Space) usually treated aliens in general as a threat to be overcome by force. The major difference was often scale, which was partly limited by plot and, at other times, as in the case of Plan 9, by budget/resources. I believe that part of the reason their popularity subsided was their limited utility as a storytelling vehicle. Mars Attacks was an excellent green alien movie, but there are only so many Mars Attacks-style stories that can be told before flying saucers blowing things up becomes played out. Another factor is simply the passage of time. After a while, the fear of WW3 subsided and someone blowing up the White House wasn’t looking like a realistic concern.

By the 1960s the Cold War was in full swing and the U.S. had gone through McCarthyism. It was a time of unprecedented paranoia. The twin pressures of the Red Scare and the McCarthyites had Americans distrusting their neighbors, the world and their government in a way that hadn’t been seen before. The MiB’s appeared during this era and were closely linked with a new alien threat that snuck around at night. The culture of Cold War paranoia is almost certainly what led to the greys’ pattern of behavior. They were an invisible menace that lurked on the periphery of society, but still deep within the American heartland, and struck at everyday Americans. The shadowy government forces, the Mib’s, were almost as alien and threatening as the actual aliens. It’s no coincidence that Xcom’s Outsiders prominently reference both the Men in Black and greys. The twinned threat is ingrained in the public imagination by this point.

I think the reason(s) that the grey depiction has been so enduringly popular is the fact that the government has never really regained the trust of the people and there’s always some “other” to be afraid of. Once the American peoples’ sense of security was lost, it never really came back.

The storytelling potential of the grey behavioral pattern is also just greater. You could make ten movies about sneaky aliens tormenting the resident(s) of a farmhouse and still put enough twist on them to make them feel different. A movie about an army of greens blowing up cities and fighting off national armies? If two of those came out in one decade they’d be stepping on each other’s toes.

I also think that a major reason is that the greys gave the related, but imperfectly overlapping, cryptozoology and conspiracy theory crowds more meat to sink their teeth into. If you’re a believer from the forties to the sixties, it’s getting kind of hard to explain why the aggressive aliens aren’t showing up after over a decade has passed. With the greys, absence of evidence can be spun as evidence itself. Even more so once the Mib’s get brought in.

As a final note: I think that portraying Crypto-137 from Destroy All Humans! as a grey was a mistake. I know that the game was a pastiche of the mid-Cold War, and that was the era of greys’ rise, but he just doesn’t act like one. His campaign of overt violence paints him as a textbook green.
Dex Stewart
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Artist -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@TheGamerPainter  
When I was like,five,I tried to win a Dragon Dagger at an arcade. Unfortunately,there were only a few games that you could win prizes for,and I just wanted to play Primal Rage,Terminator and all the Actually fun games.  
I went back there when I was fifteen,and I swear the exact same Dragon Dagger was still there.
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide