Ponybooru's General Cartoon and Western Animation Thread

TheBridge
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

I know NOTHING
@Dex Stewart  
I think I have seen everything except the anime. I remember it being fairly okay. I actually like the series more than the movie weirdly enough from what I remember of my childhood, but it’s been so long I probably would have to reevaluate that judgement.

@Color Anon  
I still find weird that a anime adaption was made. I take it was popular in Japan?
Seiken
Artist -

full

I watched recently the Ewoks series, its basically its own thing that has barely any connection to Star Wars. Like in Season 2 there is a aingle episode where a crazy from the empire comes along to steal a magical artifact. And yes magical, because they got shamans, witches, sorcery and mythical trees that control the whole Planet. Though no mention of the force whatsoever.

If we ignore the lack of Star Wars, the series on its own is average, it has your usual tropes of learning lessons and a slew of ewok vocabulary, like ewok specific curse words and “DENGAR!” as their favorite battlecry. You will gear that at least once or twice per episode.

Season 1 i can absolutely recommend, it has a lot of heart. Season 2 on the other hand is a downgrade in terms of animation style and characters became much more simple minded and one note.
Cyborg_pony

And yes magical, because they got shamans, witches, sorcery and mythical trees that control the whole Planet.

That’s not too far out. The force originally was a mystical force with Jedi and Sith being Space wizards. It’s a science fantasy that kind of forgot the fantasy part. It doesn’t look too bad from what I saw. It has that typical 80’s kids cartoon vibe which isn’t bad. It’s remember because it was enjoyed.

Wait, DENGAR?!

full

I want to believe his name is derived from the Ewok cures word.
Seiken
Artist -

@Color Anon

I watched an episode in each season hoping the animation would get better, but its the same throughout, its looks really stilted and arkward with a constant low framerate, low action and seeking out static positions to make the mouth flap as much as possible.

They got the art down on the non human characters and the human characters look completely out of place.
Color Anon
U Lil Shid - Hi, Im a lil shid.
Artist -

Distant banjo noise
Ah, Ewoks. I remember discovering the series and binging it up a ton of years ago.  
I liked the first series, didn’t liked much the ligther and kiddier seasons, but still was an interesting series to watch, considering it’s era.  
I hated how Teebo was turned into a complete moron, though.
Seiken
Artist -

@Cyborg_pony  
Yes, i am not sure why i wrote curse word… they had them too, though i can’t think of one now. They were also also lots of other vocabolary.

Without context what means what, in Season 2 opening they actually say a couple: “chike-wa-wa” i think was an expression for something being cool/amazing.

@Color Anon  
Yeah season 2 went from an adventure to a more social focused series and like a said made the characters very one note.
ANoobis
A toast - Incredibly based
Book Horse - A user who has contributed to 5k+ metadata changes.
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.

Ghibelline Omnipotens
Kenner’s Aliens toys almost got a cartoon in 1992. Based on the art style, I expect it would have been a little darker than the usual fare, in the vein of Exosquad or X-Men.

full
Cyborg_pony

@ANoobis  
Looking at the art style, this looks like something that would’ve been on Fox Kids no doubt. I get why it was cancelled, as it wouldn’t have worked and been far too violent even for 90’s standards. I’m still surprised they made the Toxic Avenger and Killer Tomatoes into cartoons, but those had elements of comedy along with Ghostbusters and Beetlejuice - so a cartoon fit pretty well.

Also; while I was looking for horror movies made into cartoons, I got images of the girl from Turning Red.
Cyborg_pony

@Color Anon  
Those cartoons weren’t that violent. You want violent? In the D&D cartoon, the ranger’s face melts off! And still they only shot generic lasers and no one had a sword… or really any weapons for that matter.
Seiken
Artist -

@ANoobis  
90s had some great cartoons, i want to say that it would have been great if Spielberg signed of on it, because all his cartoon shows were great, but when you look at the list of cartoons where he was involved:

Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Pinkie & the Brain, Freakazoid

you realize that he wanted his stuff to be whacky comedy and i don’t think Jurassic Park would have lent itself to that.

A couple years back i wanted to watch some of the old classics of my childhood again and i realized that there was certainly a lot of unexpected bad shows. Like the real Ghostbusters is still a fantastic show. It had some VERY weird and badly written parts sometimes , but the designs and atmosphere was for the most part great.

Then i watched stuff like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Thundercats which were TERRIBLY written. It could have been that my fond memories come from later seasons of these shows, but the beginning was just atrociously bad that i couldn’t bring myself to suffer through that.
ANoobis
A toast - Incredibly based
Book Horse - A user who has contributed to 5k+ metadata changes.
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.

Ghibelline Omnipotens
Chuck Norris: Karate Kommandos and Rambo: The Force of Freedom both aired in 1986. They were both ensemble action shows wherein the celebrity character led an elite government team.

full

full

Karate Kommandos had a live-action segment at the end of each episode, in which Chuck Norris would talk to the audience about the episode’s lesson, just like in Jackie Chan Adventures.
Color Anon
U Lil Shid - Hi, Im a lil shid.
Artist -

Distant banjo noise
@Seiken  
Original Ghostbusters was a really awesome series and it sucks that later the series went downhill because of the constant executive meddling.

Back on the writing and nonsensic writing, G1 transformers had a fairly decent writing (most of time) and the bad guys were fairly well used to make them a credible threat (most of time) but I have to admit that G1 season 3 was just terrible, both on the visual and writing aspects. Also, Robocop was a bizarre cartoon since it was inspired on a very violent movie that the series had to write around to avoid issues, and so it was weird to see how neither Robocop or his foes could fire real bullets as far I remember, it has been years since I discovered that series.
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide