Ponybooru's General Cartoon and Western Animation Thread

Angrybrony
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Sunset is best girl
i’m surprised i didn’t find a thread like this here yet so i guess i’ll make one myself.

guess i’ll start by saying infinity train is amazing is you all shouldwatch it.
ANoobis
A toast - Incredibly based
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Book Horse - A user who has contributed to 5k+ metadata changes.
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.

Ghibelline Omnipotens
Hanna-Barbera has been owned by Warner Bros. since 1991, and has been fully subsumed by Time Warner since 2001. Warner Media has used Hanna-Barbera properties for their periodic DC crossovers.

full full

Aside from that, for some reason Warner hasn’t used Hanna-Barbera’s properties for much. They have such a rich cosmology rotting away in some vault, like they’re Disney. It strikes me that they’ve never experimented with what they have. There’s no short with Elmer Fudd butting heads with Ranger Smith and Yogi. Or Quick Draw McGraw and Yosemite Sam. It seems that Warner just bought out Hanna-Barbera to let the characters wither.
ShadowBladePlatinum

Don't lose your way!
This month I watched DC Super Hero Girls, Glitch Techs, and Mad. Mad was tge cartoon from 11 years ago that was based on Mad Magazine after Mad TV ended in 2009, then lasted three years until 2013 to make room for Steven Universe. They had Tara Strong as Twilight Sparkle, Raven, and Bubbles in Mad.
Dex Stewart
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Artist -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
In the new X-Men cartoon, Alyson Court wants Jubilee to now be played by an Asian American voice actor. I’ve seen her original tweet, and it sounds a lot better in context. Here’s what I wrote about the situation before I read it. It’s still a frustrating situation.

It’s a racist trend. Casting based solely on race is racist.  
There are times when a specific race or ethnicity is looked to for a part, because of common vocal qualities, that’s one thing. Recasting to match the character’s race or ethnicity implies race or ethnicity is more important than talent or the right person who fits the role.  
Maybe Alyson Court thinks an Asian American has certain vocal qualities that will improve the performance, but more likely it’s just Twitter brainwashing people with it’s backwards progessiveness.  
Storytime: Turok: Son of Stone was a movie based on a comic about two native American men who were trapped in a world of dinosaurs and strange primitive humans. From the start they wanted to cast actual Native American voice actors. A few major characters were also voiced by white and black actors, even though their characters were still native American. Their voices fit the characters, and race didn’t ultimately matter because it’s a voice and not a physical appearance.  
The YouTube channel Spilling the Milk recently did a video on the Ghost Stories anime and assumed the voice of the cat was black. Turns out it was a white man who happened to have vocal qualities similar to a black man.  
The thing that really irritates me is the long running shows that suddenly decide to recast based on race or ethnicity. Family Guy’s Mike Henry stepped down as Cleveland, and insisted they recast the character with a black voice actor. Okay. Is he going to go back and reloop all of the character’s dialogue from every old episode? What about The Cleveland Show? The Simpsons also did this, replacing their minority chatacter’s voice actors with voice actors matching their race. An article followed with the headline: “It’s Uncanny! I Couldn’t Tell the Difference!” Because it’s a VOICE, not a physical appearance.  
Cree Summer said once that one of the freedoms of voice acting is there are no limits, you can be anyone, the black girl, the white girl, the white boy. If this trend continues it will only serve to water down the talent we hear in animation. Casting will be based solely on race, and people who are right for the part will be ignored, simply because of their race.  
There’s an old story related to this, in the cartoon Super Dave, an Asian character was voiced by an Asian man. Viewers were shocked and offended at his stereotypically Japanese accented voice. It was a voice that wouldn’t sound out of place in a forties anti-Japanese cartoon. The voice actor went back and relooped his dialogue in a more charming cartoony voice. It turned out he was right for the part, just not the offensive voice he was able to do.
Dex Stewart
Artist -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@ANoobis  
I never saw it, but I read in a book about the making of X-Men that a bunch of the crew of X-Men worked on it. It was their attempt at an original concept. It was pretty good, I’ve heard.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
@Dex Stewart  
I watched that movie so many times as a kid. Back when the Disney channel had friday night movies, that one featured heavily in the rotation. It’s so much better than the godawful live-action Hobbit films. It feels like a fantasy world that’s completely alien to ours.

Rankin/Bass Smaug was so much better than the Cumberbatch one. He actually came across as a dangerous, ancient dragon. I have the same problem with live-action Smaug that I had with Medusa in the Wrath of the Titans remake. They both took a slow-paced scene that was full of tension and changed it into a silly Hanna-Barbera chase sequence.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
full

Earthworm Jim was a good show. It had a surprisingly star-studded cast, and writing easily on par with The Tick or Freakazoid.
Dex Stewart
Artist -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
I’m watching what’s widely considered the absolute best Thomas the Tank Engine movie.full  
So far it’s pretty good.
Dex Stewart
Artist -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
I’ve been watching all the Thomas the Tank Engine movies. Some are pretty good. Some are really bad.  
Thomas and the Magic Railroad––  
This one’s okay. Paced horribly, bizarre plot that’s hard to follow, but it’s got a nice atmosphere of those types of silly movies I watched as a kid. I’m nostalgic for it, despite not having seem it as a kid. The modelwork for Thomas is amazing, most of the voices are good, the biggest problem is too much focus goes to human characters that arent nearly as interesting as the engines.  
Calling All Engines––  
This one’s all models, no live action. I watched the American version narrated by Michael Brandon. This one’s fine. Kinda dull, but it’s got its moments. I like The music. The thing that hurts this one is weird “learning segments” inserted into the movie. Keep your remote ready to fast forward. Some of these are kinda funny, as they encourage kids to help Thomas inconvenience Diesel.  
The Great Discovery––  
This one is pretty boring. It drags on and on. The concept is cool, Thomas finding a forgotten village overgrown in the forest. The middle just feels like one of the later model seasons with a new engine showing up, Thomas not liking them, and doing something to play a trick on them. Pierce Brosnan narrates this one, and I hate how slow and quiet he talks. There is one unintentionally hilarious bit where we see the new engine,Stanley, smiling like a dumbass, then cut to Thomas with his frowny face, and Brosnan calmly whispers, “Thomas didn’t like Stanley.”  
Hero of the Rails––  
This one is really good. Thomas happens across some forgotten railway line that leads into the woods. In the woods, he finds an old forgotten engine. He befriends the engine, Hiro, and secretly tries to fix him up. He’s afraid Hiro will be scrapped if he’s found in bad condition. Meanwhile, a snooty engine named Spencer decides to be an asshole and insists Hiro be scrapped once he finds out about him. This was the first cgi film in the franchise, and it’s impressive for a first outing. The new characters are all pretty cool, and it actually gets kinda intense later.  
Misty Island Rescue––  
This one’s regarded as one of the worst, and I can understand why. The film sets up characters and elements only to completely forget about them minutes later. Was this movie made for Dory? The plot is absolute nonsense, and the new characters are pretty useless. I like the opening credits, which are usually creative for the cgi films. Thats about the only positive.  
Day of the Diesels––  
Diesel 10, the Villain from Magic Railroad is reimagined as a more calculating manipulator. Unfortunately his evil plan is nonsensical, and the film overall is kinda annoying. Percy plays a big part, and I don’t like his voice.  
Blue Mountain Mystery––  
This one is pretty good, Thomas meets a little green engine he’s never seen before on an assignment away from his typical job. The other engines try to keep the green engine secret. Thomas eventually finds out why and it’s a pretty dark situation, but with a happy outcome.  
King of the Railway––  
This one feels like a long episode. Not in a bad way, it just diesnt feel very big for a movie. Thomas is helping restore a castle, befriends a really old engine, saves him when he gets caught in a cave-in, pretty typical stuff for the average episode. It’s paced well and the animation is nice.  
Tale of the Brave––  
This one surprised me, I really liked this one. The music is good, the animation is improving over time, and the new characters are all pretty fun. My one issue is the unfortunate cliche of many animated movies, towards the end, there’s a very forced feeling misunderstanding that causes a rift between the characters. Thomas thinks he saw monster tracks in stone, and later Percy thinks he saw the monster. When Thomas doesn’t believe him, Percy gets all passive aggressive and ignores him. It doesn’t go on for too long, though.  
The Adventure Begins––  
I haven’t seen this one yet.  
Sodor’s Legend of the Lost Treasure––  
This one is usually considered one of the best movies in the series. Thomas discovers a pirate ship, and a shady sailor pretends to be his friend in order to steal the ship and it’s treasure. There’s a ton of old characters popping up in the first half, it’s obvious fanservice, but done in a way that feels natural. The dark tone in the latter half makes this one stand out.  
The Great Race––  
This one is an okay one. It’s a fun fast paced movie but the character focus is uneven. There are fun musical parts and the new characters are fun as well. The titular great race is actually a small part and most of the movie is characters preparing for the show the race is a part of.  
Journey Beyond Sodor––  
I haven’t seen this one yet.  
Big World, Big Adventures––  
This one is annoying. A race car convinces Thomas to come with him around the world, and he does. Thomas makes some new friends who are tolerable and the race car just kinda leaves. This one wasn’t a very ambitious movie, which is ironic considering it was intended to introduce a new format where Thomas would travel to other countries.  
There are two upcoming films in production, one based off the current 2d cartoon, and one that maybe is going to be a live action/cgi hybrid theatrical movie. Little is known right now about either. The 2d one I probably won’t watch, the series is a baby show. I can’t imagine the film being engaging, even for it’s target audience. The other in hopeful will be more like the Sonic Movie, nothing amazing, but with decent visuals and likable characters opening the door for more ambitious sequels later.
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
Wallace and Gromit are returning after nearly two decades. A new, thus far untitled, Wallace and Gromit movie is coming to Netflix in 2024. And a sequel to Chicken Run is also in the works. In other comeback news, Apple TV+ just launched a new Fraggle Rock series.
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide