Disney Sucks

ponypony221
Chatty Kirin -

Excessively based homo
@ANoobis  
I think that’s a stretch. I think the biggest issue with his theory is that Chapek would have every reason to immediately go to the press to prevent himself from being thrown under the bus after the fact. His main evidence seems to be take it took too long to oust him for it to be over earnings, but this kind of thing doesn’t happen over night. There’s too much else going on with Disney to make that sound like the most plausible explanation.

To me, this is a classic case of good cop bad cop. Disney wanted to do a lot of things that would be unpopular, especially in the parks, so they needed a bad cop to come in and take the heat, then go away as necessary. They needed someone to take responsibility for the list of box office bombs coming down the pipeline. That is exactly what happened. The board probably expects their profits to have reached a minimum now that covid is over, the Russia war has become old news, gas prices are dropping, and people are accepting their shady business practices. So, this quarter was time for Chapek to go and take the sins of Iger with him.

The buyout rumors were a stock pump scheme because the market didn’t respond as expected to Iger taking back control. They expected to immediately make up much of their lost market cap, but they barely exceeded the typical weekly fluctuations. The Apple rumor was a cheap way to buy time for Iger to blow smoke up everyone’s asses and stall until Avatar comes out, which they expect to do well. I don’t think they were in a panic before, but I think they might be now.

Iger never really left as a CEO. The Iger-Chapek dynamic was a ploy from day one, which you can see in how Iger stuck around (how often does that happen?) and was still involved in the company even after he supposedly left. The ease with which he returned is further proof he was always on-call.
Posted Report
ANoobis
A toast - Incredibly based
Fried Chicken - Attended an april fools event
Book Horse - A user who has contributed to 5k+ metadata changes.
Chatty Kirin - A user who has reached a combined 1000 forum posts or comments.
Liberty Belle - Sings the song of the unchained

Ghibelline Omnipotens
Strange World is on course to lose around $150 million. A lot of outlets seem to be phrasing it as ‘at least $100 million’ to obscure the scale of the loss.
Posted Report
ponypony221
Chatty Kirin -

Excessively based homo
@Twiface  
I didn’t say it would, I said they expect it would. Based on the apparent cost they’re talking about now, I’m not sure about that anymore.
Posted Report
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
I don’t understand where that $2 billion break even point for Avatar 2 is coming from. They made the second and third films simultaneously. It seems like they’re taking the budget for both films and putting them on just this upcoming entry. If they stick to this, they’d have to report next year that Avatar 3 was made for $0, and will be the most profitable film in history.
Dex Stewart
Boot badge - It's Bootiful
Artist -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@ANoobis  
The first episode wasn’t awful. Not amazing, plot kinda meandered to drag the run time out. Characters weren’t unlikable, but not memorable this early on. The show will have to pull some MAJOR bad shit to really turn me off.
Posted Report
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
James Cameron has said some things about Avatar 2. He doesn’t make it sound like he was in a very creative frame of mind while he was making it. His comment on bringing back Sigourney Weaver especially stood out to me. It just seems like he whipped up this movie in a fit of flightiness.
Posted Report
Dex Stewart
Artist -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
I finished watching the second episode of Willow.  
It’s basically a better and more focused version of Last Jedi, there’s definitely influence from that movie.  
The plot still meanders and gets intentionally slow to drag this story out over several episodes.  
It’s okay, I don’t see why people are so negative about it. It’s definitely not ideal, but it’s passable so far.
Posted Report
Dex Stewart
Artist -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@ponypony221  
Woke is a pretty meaningless term at this point.  
The original Willow film came about from one of George Lucas’s rough drafts for Star Wars.  
full  
The movie was a big early project for Ron Howard, Warwick Davis and Val Kilmer.  
The only reason a sequel tv show is happening is because Willow was acquired by Disney from Lucasfilm.
Posted Report
FeatherTrap
Artist -

Knight of Boops
It’s basically a better and more focused version of Last Jedi, there’s definitely influence from that movie.

Truly sir, you are astonishing.

You took a show I already had less then no interest in, a show that I believed was physically impossible for me to care any less about…and you found a way to make me even less enthusiastic to watch it.

I didn’t think that was possible, truly you have a way with words. Colour me impressed.
Dex Stewart
Artist -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@FeatherTrap  
I mean, Kathleen Kennedy is behind both of them. She’s not too good on the creative side of things. Willow simply feels like it took what they were trying and failing to do with TLJ and kinda sorta not failing completely with Willow.
Posted Report
ponypony221
Chatty Kirin -

Excessively based homo
@Dex Stewart  
“Woke” is only meaningless in the sense it is pointless to use since almost all modern media is woke. That doesn’t mean I have to accept it.

If anything has happened, I may have considered watching the original. Disney’s… nah.
Posted Report
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
Estimates are that Wakanda Forever is going to close out at around $800m. Normally, that would be pretty good, but their internal target was Black Panther numbers. They will be receiving this as the loss of over $500m.
Posted Report
Dex Stewart
Artist -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@ANoobis  
It’s a sequel without the main character, why would they expect it to do the same?  
I get that they were in a no-win situation, but the outlook was obvious.
Posted Report
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
Willow’s ratings are abysmal, in terms of both views and reviews. The audience score is 25% on RT and 1.2 on MetaCritic. It’s apparently the biggest flop on Disney+, underperforming other notable ratings bombs like She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel to an impressive degree. Willow’s first two episodes only had 481k plays in the first five days, according to Samba TV viewing metrics. By the same metric, Ms. Marvel was at 775k and She-Hulk was sitting at 1.5 million views at that point.
Posted Report
Twiface

Princess of Shitposting
@Dex Stewart  
Either wishful thinking or hubris.  
They assumed that everyone who saw the first movie would come back and see the second.  
All of the Phase Four projects were made on the assumption that the people who saw Phases 1-3 would remain as loyal consoomers while their pandering would bring in new audiences.
Dex Stewart
Artist -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@ANoobis  
What I’ve seen of Willow so far has felt surprisingly low budget. Slow, sometimes awkward pacing and a heavy reliance on having seen the original movie while at the same time shying away from elements from the movie.

@Twiface  
I’m just sitting here waiting for a new Punisher thing. I don’t have much interest in the greater MCU. There are MCU completionists who’ll watch and buy everything but I’m surprised they think that’s common.
Posted Report
ANoobis

Ghibelline Omnipotens
Universal is starting to beat Disney in both of its traditional arenas. Universal’s animated movies have been dominating Disney’s at the box office for three years now, to the tune of about 2:1. And 2023 is shaping up to be even worse, since Universal has the Mario movie coming out, and Disney has almost nothing due to a production drawdown.

More damaging to Disney is the fact that Universal has been eating into their lead in theme park attendance. I expected Universal’s parks to start beating Disney’s on both coasts once Epic Universe opened in Florida and the Nintendo expansion to Universal Studios Hollywood opened in California. It seems that it’s happening already, owing to Universal’s improvements and Disney’s parks notoriously going to shit over the last few years.
Posted Report
Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide